Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I read the stickies and on my 96 Caprice the most likely culprit is the planetary reaction gear (according to the symptoms..) Last week I started to hear a groaning sound in first and reverse however car runs/shifts fine. I could swear it's sounds like the converter..stopped by a tranny shop for some advice and they were not sold on the planetary reaction..possible, although not not probable. 4L60E has 102k on it with clean fluid...before I go through the hassle of dropping and rebuilding/replacing, just thought I would see if anyone had the same symptoms and what the cause was...Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
403 Posts
haven't checked in for awhile

popped into specifically read about the same symptoms

I just Bought a 99 Gmc NBS RCSB 5.3 same exact symptoms
shifts excellent, shifts are positve and shift points are spot on

I was just telling myself this morniong this trannie must have been rebuilt recently

Denied, I put in 1st gear manual gassed it up to about 25 and let off
makes a howling sound similar to a noisy ring and pinion on decel

I'm hosed went out a bought a new set of 20" Goodyears and a pioneer double Din to boot

I'm so hosed

·
Registered
546 Posts
Groaning 1st and reverse. 2nd, 3rd, 4th were quiet.

yes that is a "upgrade" 5 pinion gear set.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Given that it's specific to certain gears, I'd put my money on the rear planets as well. Get it fixed sooner rather than later, as it only gets harder and more expensive to fix if you let it go.

EDIT - just to be clear, yes, it's probably the rear planets, and yes, it can and does happen to otherwise healthy 4L60Es. Find a shop that is willing to replace it. But they may get in there and find that it needs more work (like reclutch or rebuild). Just be aware.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Groaning 1st and reverse. 2nd, 3rd, 4th were quiet.

yes that is a "upgrade" 5 pinion gear set.

No, its not... Thats an AFTERMARKET 5 pinion planet set which is WEAKER than the OEM 4 pinion stock planets. The GM 5 pinion planet sets cost hundreds of dollars and have oiling holes in the carrier and are not that crappy cast pot metal design.

That 5 pinon planet pictures cost about 35 bucks at my supplier... complete trash.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have seen this a few times over the years. The 5 pinion were no better than the aftermarket 4 pinion planetaries. Just go with a good used oem 4 pinion planetaries, they have never been a problem, and do not cost much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts