Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, if i buy this gauge to put in the dash,

What do i need to buy AFA a sender that i would plug into the pressure testing port on the tranny itself ?

Thank you.
-ALF out...

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the dumb question, i re-read the description and yes the sender is included with the gauge.
thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
Hopefully this won't start a big argument like it usually does in the past, but a transmission PRESSURE gauge will tell you far more, far sooner than a TEMPERATURE gauge will. I've had both on cars in the past; I speak from experience.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
The line flowing from the transmission out to the cooler will be a much better place to measure transmission oil temperatures. The diagnostic pressure port is static, no flow so it will eventually get close to the same temperature as the oil, but long after you can do anything about it and damage has been done. Presumably you're installing the gauge to protect the transmission and/or change something if it gets too hot?

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
That's where mine is located ,and seems to rise/fall as one would expect. I will say that I recently installed another sending unit on a spin on/off filter mount ,and plan to install a switch to compare readings

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I have mine in the line feeding the cooler. The 91 uses 5/16" tubing, so I just cut and put an AN-5 flare on both ends and used and AN tee that had 1/8" pipe as the center port.

I think pressure is a great diagnostic tool, but I wouldn't know what is right/wrong while driving with a heavy load that is resulting in overheating. When pulling over and resting a while is all that's needed.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts

·
Premium Member
608 Posts

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
New this season. So ,have no firsthand info. Expect fluid to be cooler after passing through both trans coolers though.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, thank you all for the details about location choices. I did read those opinions in other threads so was not totally unaware of the choice i am making.
Just a Daily driver with OEM tranny with over 300K and Reverse slipping. It's going in the shop before August.

I using the philosophy "if it don't go chrome it !" :)
Thought the temp gauge in the dash bezel would look cool ;-)
I'm lucky with my skills to get 15.2 E.T.

To me it sounds like the 2 water temp sensors in the motor, both valid temp readings but usefullness depends on what you are trying to do. So i don't have a plan for the tranny temp gauge, but i feel seeing something is better than nothing.

I'll post pics when i get it installed.
Thanks for all's tips.
-ALF out...

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
You will get far more enjoyment and enlightenment by installing a line pressure gauge and watching the difference between the old and new transmission.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did anyone see any better threads on the pressure gauge install than this one ?

i would need a little more like install steps and pics than just the parts list i saw in that thread.

thanks.
-ALF out....

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
654 Posts
Originally I had my Transmission temp gauge in the pressure port. I think that the temperature reading there is more of the case temperature then actual fluid temp.
I move the temperature sensor to the transmission pan to get a reading of the fluid temp as the sensor is always submerged in the transmission fluid. (Deep pan with bung welded on the passenger side)

YMMV
Michael

Reactions: angelo

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Patient has been admitted..... :)
-ALF out....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts