Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just want to ask if anyone has any direct web links available they can post up here in regards to if anyone has made some clear tranny videos including the removal , installation or rebuild of their 4l60e
I search all the stickies and threads . I also searched youtube but came across just generic 4l60e videos with other vehicles.
I was hoping to get one specially for the Caprice or Impala. I know its mostly the same with B and F bodies but was wondering if anyone had some to share. It would give me more confidence and my friend whom is assisting me on this job.

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all of you guys above^

And especially the tranny ladyboy video :D

A few questions>

But anyways I don't have a tranny jack but I was going to use a regular jack with a plank on it with a cargo tie down to support it.

1. I have a question that site said it needed 19 inchs of ground clearance to get it out. I guess they meant getting it out by rolling it out OFF the jack? Cause 19 inches is too low for that tranny to be on the jack all together. The height of the tranny is 19 or so I believe? SO im thinking it would be a total of 6 inches or more height.

2. I guess I can support the engine with a floor jack and a plank under the engine oil pan without doing damage

3. I believe the starter doesn't need to be removed?

4 . Should I use red or blue locktite on the drive plate bolts ?
or on any other parts on this project im doing?? such as TC, drive shaft etc???

5. I hear I can use Vaseline instead of transgel when rebuilding it.

Thanks again. For some reason im not getting email responces delivered to my email addy from this site so it may take a while before I reply thankscwm3

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thankyuo both of you guys. I printed out those instrucions. And yes I will have to change the rear main engine oil seal . It is slightly leaking. Maybe I can get away with that or maybe not> I know its best to change it if the tranny will be coming out. I can see some of the oil on the driveplate cover. Im not loosing a lot of oil on the dipstick so I may be fine for a while.

I will keep everyone posted

Thanks you 2 guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.