Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how much Trans Fluid am I going to lose when changing out the radiator? Should I add a qt?

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
You should lose very little. The fluid drains back into the trans after you turn off the car.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Guys, isn't the tube in there about the length of 6 soda straws?

Anyway CHILN-, what everyone above said. That's the least of your worries. Undoing the rusted fittings is tough.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Make sure you use two wrenches, one on the fitting, and one on the nut. If the rust is that bad, there are some butterfly sockets on ebay EZ-Red BSS1 Butterfly Socket Set, Small (best price, but not cheap) that will allow you to remove almost any tube fitting without destroying it. Otherwise you should use flare wrenches, which will give you some extra gripping surface on the nut.

I have never had a problem with removing the fittings when changing a radiator, but I live in FL where we do not get nearly as much nasty rust.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Up here it's common that the tube welds itself to the fitting - while at the same time the tube has rotted - so you get instant twisted off tube! More often than not I end up with a new barb end into the rad with clamped rubber hose makeup.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Just wondering how much Trans Fluid am I going to lose when changing out the radiator? Should I add a qt?
If you are careful you will loose nearly nothing. Make sure to plug the disconnected lines with something so the lines would not get contaminated. You will loose more motor oil if you have a cooler in the radiator.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx on the responses guyz. Out here in Cali we don't even know what rust looks like:p Everything went smoothly until I turned on the car and tried to flush out the old coolant without a radiator hooked upcwm3 Now I really need to add fluid! What a mess.At least I have a external Oil cooler so that didn't fly all over the place:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts