Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The trans fluid in my caprice is very dark.
The fluid is not red . My car has 180,000 miles. should i change the fluid or just leave well enough alone?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Filter kit and complete flush now if u ask me!...anything other than pink, get it out of there...cheap insurance...like engine oil!

Ian.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Lord, hopefully it's not too late. Take it to the dealer, or a service center that has a BG flush system, and have it COMPLETELY serviced, all the fluid pumped out and new pumped in with new filter and gasket. When a shop does a regular fluid change, they can't access the 3 or 4 quarts in the TC without the pump.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should definitly change the filter and do a fluid exchange.

You can do the exchange yourself if you want. Do the filter change and replace the pan. Top off the fluid(4 quarts) Remove a line at the tranny cooler and put a clear piece of tubing on the line to direct it into your catch pan.

Have someone start the car. Start pouring fluid into the fill tube at about the same rate the fluid is coming out of the line. When the fluid turns clear in the tube, shut the motor down and reattach the cooler check the fluid level.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do it before its too late, as for my winter car, well....its "dark" alright, ever seen the color of maple syrup? :eek: whoops, might have that changed before i put it on the road in a week or 2...

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed with the above, *definitely* time to get that fluid changed, and pronto.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts