Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it dangerous to just drain the trans fluid and then fill it back up with new non-synthetic fluid?
my car has 113,000 miles and i dont know when it was changed last

· Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Not dangerous at all. In fact, I'd recommend that as the standard procedure for both well-maintained AND neglected trannies. But you MUST also drop the pan and change the filter if it hasn't been done in a while. If not, the new fluid's detergent could quickly plug an old filter that's probably already at capacity.
Yours may not be too bad at your mileage. Plan on changing the filter either now or after you've driven it VERY GINGERLY for 1000 miles with the new fluid in it.

· Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks im planing to take my car to my friends shop tomorow and have oil and rear fluid change and coolant flush and fill and now ill have him do a trans filter and fluid

also whats the main difference between a standard trans cross member and a CIA Tubular Transmission Cross Member

· Registered
420 Posts
how much weight savings
A few pounds. I never weighed mine but you can tell the difference holding them in your hand. And I didn't get mine from Dan it was through another forum member, fabricator, engine builder, head porter and all around nice guy Mike Harris (1FAST94)

· Premium Member
2,393 Posts

· Registered
1,023 Posts
Does the stock convertor have a drain plug?

· Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Does the stock convertor have a drain plug?
No.

Each time you drain and refill with fresh fluid, you're getting rid of some of the old fluid in the converter just in the rest of the tranny. So best to do that step several times over the next few thousand miles if it's been neglected for a while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.