Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 Caprice 9c1, 2018 Ram Laramie CC 4x4 EcoDiesel , '03 Ram 3500 Laramie Sport QC 4x4 Cummins
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope I don't get flamed for this questions this being for my sons truck. '96 Chev 3/4 4x4 w/350 with the 4l80 trans, and its supposed to have had a fresh tranny rebuild when he bought it. The truck sat all winter and here recently he said the truck doesn't want to shift into D or OD when its been driven all day. He said it only happens towards the end of the day. I had him replace the TPS switch,which didn't fix his issue. Trans fluid is at the full mark and doesn't smell too burnt. He has driven the truck about 3K miles since he bought it.
Can anybody help him out on what else to check out? Being a teenager,he can't seem to save for rainy days,and I hope this issue doesn't rain all over his ass. Almost forgot,he wants to change fluid and filter hopping fresh fluid is going to fix the problem. I looked in my shop manuals for my Caprice and for the 4l60,it seems like the tranny might have some type of switch that controls 3-4 shift,is this right?
Please school me,so we can get his truck working. Please type slow since I don't know squat bout transmissions.

Thanks-Casey

·
Registered
796 Posts
When the trans doesn't shift in 4th, does it lose 1st gear? Meaning, from a dead stop, does it not start in 1st (2nd gear start)?

·
Premium Member
1996 Caprice 9c1, 2018 Ram Laramie CC 4x4 EcoDiesel , '03 Ram 3500 Laramie Sport QC 4x4 Cummins
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It starts in first,shifts to second like its suppose to. Like I said before,it starts acting up towards the end of the day.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anybody else?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I had the exact same problem on my Caprice. No 4th and it only happened intermittently. I changed my TPS and haven’t had any problems since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts