Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! How do I adjust the kickdown settings on tunerpros? I would like my car to kickdown out of OD or 3rd at less TPS input, but can't seem to decipher how to do it or what the "kickdown mode" is. So instead of messing with something I know nothing about, I'd like to learn a bit more.

·
Super Moderator
8,771 Posts
I'm using the XDF: EEXTRA v0.003.xdf. There are kickdown mode enable and disable TPS thresholds. On a stock tune they are set for 95% and 91%, respectively. You may also decide that you just want to modify the normal mode upshift/downshift points, which may accomplish what you want.

Personally, I suspect that the software also monitors TPS transients, and if the transient is greater than some percentage in a given amount of time, it will change into kickdown mode. To test this, drive down the road at some steady speed and throttle, then slowly increase throttle and note when and how the downshift occurs. Then, go back to the same stretch of road, same speed and throttle, and very quickly fully release the throttle and then apply it to a high value that's less than the enable threshold, and note the change in behavior. What I don't know is if the transient threshold is even adjustable in the software, or if it simply hasn't been discovered yet.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll look when I get home soon.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
How do I adjust the kickdown settings on TunerPro?
I'd like my car to kickdown out of OD or 3rd at less TPS input, but can't seem to decipher how to do it, or what the "kickdown mode" is.
So instead of messing with something I know nothing about, I'd like to learn a bit more.
Before you mess with the 'KickDown' constants and tables, remember that the 'Normal Mode Up/Down Shift Points in MpH' table applies under ≈ 43MpH in 1st & 84MpH in 2nd.

Until you're over those speeds AND ALSO over ≈ 90% TPS, your driving is not referencing any KickDown stuff.
You'll likely find more rewards by raising many of the values in the 'Normal Mode Up/Down Shift Points in MpH' table.

Reactions: sherlock9c1

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Since you're talking tunerpro, are you tuning the 91?
If you're asking if I program the EPROMS of B- or D-cars with LB4 L03 or L05 engines, I do not.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use tunerpro on my 96 B4U.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
How do you do that? Did you switch to a 95 ecm? Not aware of tunerpro supporting the 96. Good info is so.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you do that? Did you switch to a 95 ecm? Not aware of tunerpro supporting the 96. Good info is so.
I swapped In an obd1 pcm, figured it would be my best option.
I don't think tunerpro supports obd2, hence why I swapped backwards.

Reactions: 91ss
1 - 10 of 10 Posts