Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently checked my transmission fluid an saw that it was way past full and a nice red orange color ( is that normal by the way) so im in the process of changing everything.

Ive been through a couple of forums to see how many quarts of Dextron VI bottles I need for my transmission filter replacement and I keep seeing various answers. I saw 10, 6, 3.5, and 4 quarts.

Does anybody know exactly how many quarts I need for my Transmission filter service.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
I buy it by the gallon. How is anyone to now how much remains inside?
Check with dipstick,start engine ,check again. With foot on brake move
shift lever in/out of all gears ,and check fluid again,etc,etc.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Total fill would be 11.2 quarts.

A filter change would be between 5 and 6 quarts, from what I am remembering from my last filter change.

Reactions: Marky Dissod

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
The owners manual:
Drain and refill 4.7L=4.966 US quarts

Overhaul 10.6L=11.2 US quarts

Short version: Over half the fluid is in the transmission body and torque converter.

If you start with bad discolored fluid you will find it takes more than the overhaul amount to see clean fluid if you disconnect the cooler line to pump out all the old fluid. From personal experience 2-5L.

I have done this with a daily driver and a "summer car" that I installed a junk yard sourced transmission Each are still running after five plus years and 40-80K miles. Both had dark fluid and no history of replacement of fluid or filter.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
I connect return line from cooler run via AN-06 hose into 1 of2 Mason jars connected to each other so the old fluid displaces air into second jar filled with new fluid that gets forced into line returning to trans once car is started..

Reactions: sherlock9c1

·
Registered
338 Posts
have recently checked my transmission fluid an saw that it was way past full
Was the car sitting on a level surface with the engine still running? Preferably warmed up after a short drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts