Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i go to change my oil this Mournin i also go to check my transmission fluid and its black...im sure alot of things need replacing on this car because the previous owner did no kind of maintenance...well i do kno that the trAnsmission fluid is supposed to be a pinkish color right? And if/when i replace it will this have any kind of negative affect on thetransmission at all? Im new to this so jus wondering....and the car is a 96 caprice 350

·
Premium Member
1996 Caprice 9c1, 2018 Ram Laramie CC 4x4 EcoDiesel , '03 Ram 3500 Laramie Sport QC 4x4 Cummins
635 Posts
By all means change the fluid and filter. Be sure and flush the lines as well as the cooler. You may find after changing the fluid/filter and flush,that your new fluid will discolor quickly. Its due to all the old fluid in the converter. You may have to change the fluid again. You can go to a shop and have the fluid flushed and that way you don't have to change the fluid a couple times. But you still will have to change the trans filter after having the system flushed. Myself,I don't feel comfortable getting the power flush done on my own vehicles. A close friend had his 4x4 Cummins pickup power flushed and filter changed,his trans went tits up in less then 50 miles. After the trans was torn down,they found the power flush broke lose some crud and chewed up the pump. $5K later he was back on the road.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
To replace ALL the fluid, disconnect a transmission cooling line at the radiator and run engine in Park. Transmission will pump out all the fluid. Then drop the pan and replace the filter.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I think you should change the fluid and filter and forget flushing it. You may be able to prolong the inevitable trans failure that is coming by not flushing it.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Disconnect the lower Trans cooler line on the pass side of the radiator. Stick in in a milk jug, and start the car for just a few seconds. Check how much is in it, and repeat. Do this until the jug is 3/4 full. Hook the line back up, Then drop the trans pan, clean it out really well, and replace the filter. Put it back together, add a gallon of fluid, and let it run for awhile. Then do the cooler line again, and refill with how much you pull out again. I would not run it until the pan is fully dry, as you don't want to run it dry. No need to stress the pump.

I think I ran a few gallons though the trans in my 94 Fleetwood, and a bunch of cleaner. The fluid in that car was dirt black, and burned. It was so bad, that you could smell the clutches smoke as they slipped on upshifts at more than about 1/4-1/2 pedal. It would bounce off the rev limiter. Afterwards, it shifted great. roughly 20k-25k later, and its still working in my Roadmaster.

I am against a powerflush by a shop, but a fluid swap using the trans to pump it out, and dropping the pan is little safer if you ask me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts