Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 had 163,000 miles in April when the transmission went. I had a mechanic swap in a rebuilt transmission I had sitting in my garage which had 3000 miles on it(car was wrecked) for 375. Three weeks ago the car was smoking down the highway. I pull over to see the transmission fluid leaking out. I towed it the same mechanic and he says the housing is cracked(crack was on the right side on some round cylinder...servo?). He said the transmission was shifting fine and would swap the internals from the bad housing to the core I had for 600. When I picked up the car there was a 3-4 second delay when it shifted from Reverse to Drive or Drive to Reverse. The car would also move on when on an incline in reverse if it was in drive or drive if it was in reverse. His tranny guy drove the car around the lot a week after I brought it back and the check engine light came on saying bad shift solenoid. He said he would take care of it and cleared the code. I lost 3rd gear yesterday on my way to work. After letting the car sit everything seemed fine. I droppped it off to him last night and he is saying the shift solenoid didnt solve the problem and the piston which cracked the housing may have damaged the clutches. He says I might get a month out of it if that. I dont know what to do at this point. I am debating parting it out. I am hoping he doesnt diagnose my coolant leak as a blown head gasket. Anyone have a part number for GM SRTA transmission? Sorry for the long post.....Thanks

·
Registered
440 Posts
Why would you want an SRTA?

(Soon Replacing Transmission Again)

·
Super Moderator
1,883 Posts
Sorry i dont have the part number for the SRTA. But for less money than a SRTA i can sell you a better transmission with updates and durability improvements with a 3 year warranty as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.