72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the following vehicles all automatics/all 700r4,4l60E

1991 Caprice 305
1994 Caprice L99
1995 Caprice LT1
1995 Silverado 350 2wd
1990 Sierra 350 2wd.

Gotta change the tranny fluid on 3 of them right now. On ebay they have cheap chrome pans for $16.00 each + shipping.

It says they are deeps pans. Will the deep pans work on all these vehicles. I know on my 1995 I have to unbolt the tranny from the crossmember and jack it up a little to remove the pan?

I just want them because they have proper drain plugs.
The 1994 with L99 tranny is going and burns fluid every 3 months and I'm gonna burn that tranny to the ground.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have two 1995 Caprice 9c1s and don't have to do anything to the trans mount to remove the pans. I changed them both, as well as the 4L60E in the Camaro in my sig, to deep pans back when we could get them from GM with the drain plug. Played hell getting the drain plug out of a couple of them. Had to drill it out, but no jacking the trans to change the pans. Find out what is wrong with your car. Maybe the trans mount is shot and the trans dropped down.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The pans are chrome, so that means they will hold in heat. They are usually made of thin material. Thin pan material does not seal well. These are three reasons not to use them. Add you own drain plug, and you will be much better off.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
The pans are chrome, so that means they will hold in heat. They are usually made of thin material. Thin pan material does not seal well. These are three reasons not to use them.......
Guess that's why they're only $16 cwm2 .

KW

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I totaly don't want to have fitment issues. Next step up was aluminum with drain plugs.

$34.00+$20 shipping.

As for putting a drain plug in a stock one instead of putting on the bottom could you put it on the back side (like when you face the car it would be right at the back in the middle at the lowest spot so when the car is up on ramps it drains all to the back side?

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
I drop the pan the slightest bit, (1 inch on 1 side) Prop it up Then get a Fluid pump, (stabil makes them) Stick one end down into the pan and start pumping away. I hardly have any spillage and their is no need to remove the transmission lines.

On the 91 305 The crossmember needs to be moved back ever so slightly. It does NOT have to be removed. If you prop it just right, The transmission mount will be resting on the cross member giving you just enough room to get the bolts.

On the 90 and 95 2WD truck the cross member also has to be slid back. You need something to prop up the tail shaft during the whole job, such as another floor jack, a bottle back or a POLE jack if on a lift.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sherlock
The only car that has an external tranny cooler is the 9C1
Always do the pan pump on the 9C1.

I do the tranny fluid once in the spring and once in the fall on a couple of them and in the 94 L99 it burns the fluid every 3-4 months.

Ghetto wagon your bang on, on everything you said.
Do you work at my shop once in a while or somthing?

·
Super Moderator
8,894 Posts
It doesn't matter. ALL automatic transmission vehicles have a transmission cooler, and ALL transmission cooler line setups I've seen have at least one place in the lines where you can easily disconnect to pump out like I described.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On my other 4 vehicles I'm not interested in disconecting lines off my radiator and risk kinking the lines, or cross threading the thin threads. Its fine with the 9C1 with the external cooler.

Ive changed out rads before were the tranny fluid has corroded the threads on the lines to were you've taken them out the final time and they never go back on again because there are no threads left and you have to get new cooler lines.

In my situation, with the volume of fluid changes, the pan deal is the better way to go.

·
Super Moderator
8,894 Posts
Go back and reread the link I posted. I'm with you 100% on not unscrewing any threaded lines. I'm saying there's a hose/pipe connection with a clamp on it. It's under the battery area on B-bodies. It's on every B-body I've seen, and other cars I've seen as well.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
To drain the pan so you don't get an ATF bath, You could also get some small O.D. Tube. Put it down the dip stick tube and pump away with a fluid pump until nothing comes out. That will just about remove all the fluid. The only bad part is, it will take a couple of minutes to do. I think 1/4 OD clear nylon hose works well. Then I made an adapter that converts it to 1/2 ( what the fluid pump is ) If your cheap like me, You will save on gas too No need to run engine!... (.002 gallons saved lol)

Its a good "Used car" selling trick too... ATF looks like crap? Get some ATF, Do what I just said, Fill it up, Run it around, WOW! The fluid does not look AS BAD anymore.. Sure.. Not the best way at all to change the fluid. But it would work for someone very lazy.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Stock depth

get a trans pan from a mid 90s astro van. holds six quarts and has drain plug
I need a stock depth trans pan with a drain plug. Is this stock depth?

·
Registered
524 Posts
i have 2 01 astro/safari vans one is 2wheel drive and the other is awd. the awd has the deep pan and the 2wd does not. the deep pan is 1'' deeper and takes a different filter so make sure you get new filter for deep one. both of the pans dont have drain plug but i got the kit to put it in from pepboys oil-tite part #65241 think it was $3.00

1 - 18 of 18 Posts