Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 94 caprice wagon (LT1/4L60E/175k) seems to be losing trans fluid, but I don't see any obvious leaks. On older cars, I'd suspect the modulator valve, but this car doesn't have one (only rubber lines I see are vent and ends of cooler lines.) I'm down a quart in 1 month, 1st gear lags (it's very cold here in Eastern Pa if that matters,) car moves slowly vs. engine speed, then catches-- 2nd & up seems normal.

I'm babying it along and getting by...(it's been a great car- bought it 10 yrs ago for $3000, put 100k on it w/few probs- on my 3rd water pump, did the dist/cap/rotor, fuel pump, rad...) but this one has me stumped.

Any sugestions greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
It's gotta be going somewhere. Look in the coolant and see if there's any oil getting in there through the internal cooler. If so, replace the radiator AS SOON AS POSSIBLE because it WILL cross-contaminate coolant back into the transmission and that will be the end of the clutchpacks.

You ARE checking the fluid level properly, warmed up, with the engine running, trans in Park, on a level surface, right?

Honestly your drivability symptoms sound like a cracked forward piston if it happens every day. Does it only do that on the first drive-out of the day, or does it do it every time in 1st gear? if only the first one, then I'd say the torque converter drainback valve may not be working anymore, and it takes a few seconds to refill the converter.

EDIT - upon some further experience I'd also suggest that the low fluid is directly contributing to the laggy first shift. Make sure the trans is full and see if the lag goes away, which it probably will.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.