Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 93 RM has 112,000 miles on it. On a road trip saturday, going over some steep mountain passes I kept noticing a shaking or shuddering going up steep hills. The shuddering usually only lasted a second or two, but sometimes wouldn't stop until I turned off the cruise or tapped the brake. I was cruising at 75-80 MPH and decided the shudder must be when the Torque Converter was coming off lock-up, or trying to come off lockup, up as the cruise tried to maintain the speed going up a steep hill. In other words, I think that the TC is sticking in lock up when the computer is telling it to come out.

If it's the TC, would a fluid change help the problem?

The trans fluid smells bad and looks dirty. Probably hasn't ever been changed.

As a side note, I got 26.3 MPG on this road trip of 500 miles. On another road trip of 250 miles all freeway at 70-75, I got 28 MPG.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it's the TC, would a fluid change help the problem?
Worth a try; change fluid/filter.

The trans fluid smells bad and looks dirty. Probably hasn't ever been changed.
Fluid that is dark/has burnt paper smell is sure sign of transmission needs o/h. Sorry!
I'm afraid that that is your shudder: trans slipping. It's easier to change fluid and filter than O'H tranny, so I'd try that first.

As a side note, I got 26.3 MPG on this road trip of 500 miles. On another road trip of 250 miles all freeway at 70-75, I got 28 MPG.[/QUOTE]

Good Milage!

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Try an application of LubeGard ShudderFixx. One of the only additives that works. I got an extra 20,000 after doing that do my orig trans before it gave up. Start saving up, you are on borrowed time,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts