Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need header gaskets and possibly bolts for my new gen II tri-y's
What are your experiences with the bolts that come with the headers? Should i stick with them or go with something else like arp's or some locking bolts? How about the gaskets? Price is not an issue. Any sugestions and help are highly appreciated. I've never really had great luck with the search function on the forum so i'm sorry if i piss you off for a repeated subject.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I suggest to use the 29DD3BERL D-port, since I have noticed the smaller D-port gasket(29DA3BERL) covers up part of the headers port. Or, use the smaller ones, and put them against the header. Then trim anything that covers the port.

The bolts that CIA sends with the headers, are actually very nice ones.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Has anyone had bad luck with the cia header bolts? Its likely that i'll only be able to put 2 or 3 heat cycles on them before having to drive the car about 350 miles back home. I'll try my best to get 10 or so cycles on it (maybe i'll have my dad take it for a few short rides) so i can tighten them before i have to drive it the 350 miles. Any input?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I also went with the Earls gaskets that Dan had, but for bolts I went to Totally Stainless for their header bolts, I think it gave a cleaner look if that matters, it did to me

Tom Dinkel
HERD V.P.
96 BBB

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The header bolts we include are a coated grade 8 bolt. We specifically clearance the headers to work with these bolts. They are 12 point and have a pretty small shoulder. The wrench we use to tighten them is made by Snap-On. Not because I like them any better than another brand but because the head of the wrench is no bigger than the shoulder of the bolts. If you decide to use different bolts, they need to be NO bigger than what we originally provided you.

As for gaskets, when doing local installations we use a set of Felpro gaskets. Our headers use 3/8" thick flanges and the surface of the flange is machined flat. Our headers do NOT leak. The Earls gaskets are nice but extreme over-kill in my opinion. They certainly wont hurt.

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
I have been running Dan's gaskets and header bolts for 5-6 years with no problems.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NICE! Thanks for clearin it up. I had my headers shipped to my dad's house where the car will be this winter, and he will not stop commenting on the quality of Dan's Tri-y's. I can't wait to touch them!:D

·
Registered
320 Posts
NICE! Thanks for clearin it up. I had my headers shipped to my dad's house where the car will be this winter, and he will not stop commenting on the quality of Dan's Tri-y's. I can't wait to touch them!:D
The guy at the exhaust shop that installed mine was ranting and raving about the Gen IIs as well. He also was impressed with the chromex ceramic coating. Thanks again Dan

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
:)

I'm glad you guys like your headers. Thanks for the comments. i think one of you called and left a message about how much you liked your headers. It's great to get messages like that and read them on the forums.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts