Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated,
I know there are companies like AI and Lloyd Elliot, but if you were given a choice of a set of heads, out of the box, what would you chose, Dart Pro LT1's 180 or Trick Flow 195's?
The opinions of others is where we sometimes learn from.

Matt.

·
Registered
654 Posts
As stated,
I know there are companies like AI and Lloyd Elliot, but if you were given a choice of a set of heads, out of the box, what would you chose, Dart Pro LT1's 180 or Trick Flow 195's?
The opinions of others is where we sometimes learn from.

Matt.
i am using the edelbrock lt4 xtreme out the box but i didnt get the set at retail. they are a 195 cc head. if i did not get a great deal on them then no doubt i wouldve went with ai or le. their offerings cant be beat for the cost imho. plus they are using actual gm stuff so you know it will work. when you start going aftermarket, yeah they say everything will bolt right up but you soon find out that the small stuff like vacuum fittings and things like that just dont match up to the original. plus one more thing that i found out is that most of those aftermartket offerings are not fully ported, mostly just pocket porting and gasket matched and such. basically, if you can find a complete kit that has everything (throttle body, intake, heads, cam, gaskets, bolts, etc.) for around $2000 like i did then get it. thats way cheaper than what you will get any complete top end for and most dont come with the throttle body. other than that, go with the le or the ai kits. another advantage of them is that they are custom made for your specific setup. that right there is well worth the price.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
There are several people who have gone REALLY quick using the trick flows.

Having said that, you're not limited to LT1 heads. If you want to experiment with different manifolds, any smallblock head that will fit a standard block will fit the LT1 if you have a machinist drill the steam holes on the back of the block. That gives you the freedom to experiment with different manifolds as well as different heads.

·
Registered
654 Posts

Having said that, you're not limited to LT1 heads. If you want to experiment with different manifolds, any smallblock head that will fit a standard block will fit the LT1 if you have a machinist drill the steam holes on the back of the block. That gives you the freedom to experiment with different manifolds as well as different heads.
damn i just learned something new. thats some damn good info. where at in the back does the holes get drilled? anything else need to be modded in order to make them work?

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
damn i just learned something new. thats some damn good info. where at in the back does the holes get drilled? anything else need to be modded in order to make them work?
Dude.....you better get your car runnin' from that aborted cam swap before you start on any grand experiments :p !

KW

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Look at your stock heads at the back of the motor. there's a coolant tube on the back that returns coolant and any steam generated back to the radiator. Other than that, I don't think there's anything else that needs doing - the reverse flow stuff is in the block, not the heads.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I believe you can also drill and tap the Intake manifold at the rear water ports to accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
- the reverse flow stuff is in the block, not the heads.
What? I was always informed that's the benefit of the reverse cooling. Run the cold(er) water through the heads first to improve power. Therefor reverse cooled. :)

Mav

·
Registered
136 Posts

It has been done...but there is more to it than that. Look at a lt1 block and you will see that where the oil return is on a sbc would be draining into coolant passages on a LT1. You would need to weld on the traditional sbc heads to make it work. Not saying it cannot be done but it is more involved.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
What? I was always informed that's the benefit of the reverse cooling. Run the cold(er) water through the heads first to improve power. Therefor reverse cooled. :)

Mav
My bad - I wasn't clear. What I meant was that the heads don't have anything special in them that causes the reverse flow - all the changes are in the block, not the heads.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Dude.....you better get your car runnin' from that aborted cam swap before you start on any grand experiments :p !

KW

Oh trust me im not starting on anything yet until that's done. Haven't aborted it just been on vacation since thurs down on the gulf coast. I will get back to it on tues!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts