Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
my front pass window broke the front roller, so the window did a nose dive and made the shark fin when i rolled it down.

i bought 2 of the doorman #74444 the white round thingy.
it was real hard plastic, i thought it would be rubber...anyway...

now my window is really screwd up and need help.

i tried the tips in the roller sticky, but not sure where i went wrong ?
i got everything apart and access to the broken roller.
i put some WD-40 on the white roller and pressed it into the track.
I got a 2" C-clamp and pressed the ball stud into the white roller.
(this was almost impossible to do as angle was crazy hard to get at)

so NOW i have assembled and made sure the window was lined up in the door channel and tried to test it.
The window won't go all the way down, or all the way up... !!!!???

i can not figure out what is binding, if i did anything wrong...?

the rear arm is still OEM and it slides in the track, the new doorman part how ever seems to REALLY SUCK !! it does not move much at all ! the window just moves some and the front arm with the new part barely moves... is WD-40 not slippery enough?

WTH did i do wrong guys !!! i need MAJOR help, need my car to be drivable !!!!

-ALF out....

·
Registered
785 Posts
are you sure the roller is all the way in the track? i use wheel bearing grease to lube the rollers and tracks.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think its in, here's some quick pics

-ALF

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
i bought 2 of the doorman #74444 the white round thingy.
I don't know about a doorman roller product. I've always went to the chevy dealership and bought them there. There pricey, but I've never had a problem with them not rolling up.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'd bet the window is stick on something, I changed my front passenger a week ago and it wasn't in track right. I have dormant rollers.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like i freaked out for no reason...
i took another look and IN THE DOOR there is rubber weather stripping type stuff that the window slides in as it goes down in the door.... strange how NONE of the stickys mention this !! WTH :p

so i checked the front of the glass and it is riding IN the rubber stuff like it should, I go check the back of the glass and it is just flopping in the wind... cwm3cwm5 the window is coming down in front of it.

I will try in the morning to pop out the new roller....scratch that, maybe replace the back roller while i'm in there and then reseat the window and make sure the glass slides IN the rubber guide...

here are some pics to help explain this crap....
this is the front of the glass, in the rubber guide like it should be...

her is the rear of the glass and the rubber piece is behind the glass (this is bad)

another shot of the rear, shadow is making it hard to see bottom of the glass, but good shot of rubber piece

just a close-up of the previous view...

-ALF out.....

·
Registered
346 Posts
exact thing happened to me .

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
The part is called a run channel. Yes you do have to put it back together correctly.

·
Registered
890 Posts
before the crash i thought i remembered somebody saying they sanded the new style rollers down slightly so that they did not bind

i could be crazy though

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I just did the rear windows on my 95 B4U. I make two flat edges on mine & they slide in easier. I use silicone grease on my window tracks where the sliders ride.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Job is all done an window works like BRAND NEW.....
i replaced the back roller as well as the broken front roller.
i made sure glass was traveling in the rubber channel in the door and buttoned her up.

Case Closed..
-ALF out..

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts