Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i noticed my trunk was a little loose the past few days, upon closer inspection all the metal of the trunk floor right above and behind the fuel filler neck is ripped. Pretty much the whole latch assembly is ready to break off.
Ill be getting this welded, but what the hell caused this? I dont have a crazy system, and no rust so its got me stumped.

Ill post pics when i get out of work

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I noticed the same thing on mine about a month ago. I had just aligned my trunk when I noticed it started looking loose again. I think it is from closing the trunk on the latch too hard.

I just put about four screws to hold it down to the good metal and that fixed it for me.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I noticed the same thing on mine about a month ago. I had just aligned my trunk when I noticed it started looking loose again. I think it is from closing the trunk on the latch too hard.

I just put about four screws to hold it down to the good metal and that fixed it for me.
I had that same problem on one of my 1994 9C1 Cruisers a couple years back and I just drilled 4 holes in it and bolted it back down. Stange I thought it was just me. LOL

·
Registered
944 Posts
had the same problem and over bumps it sounded like a bad shock but i got it welded and its been fine since

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
4 bolts is the way to go. i might wanna weld mine too but as of when i got the car the trunk latch wasnt even connected to the car it was on the hook hanging in the air. 4 self tapping screws took care of that though, happened in my other car too

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
The latch on the body is just a cheap spot welded bracket. I heard of them breaking off.. At junkyards I noticed that if someone stuck a prybar between the trunk lid and the body, You can break it right off and gain entry. Maybe the yard does it. Ive seen a few.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts