Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't seem like the typical trunk problems I read about on these cars. The bottom piece moves up and down just fine but the trunk won't latch, it will catch about 40% of the time so I just avoid using it. I was told that it was a sign of the trunk motor failing, but I disconnected it so that it shut without the pull down and it still only latches about 40% of the time. I have to stand there and repeatedly push it shut. Slamming it won't help, when it works it just clicks like it's supposed to. I've tried greasing it but I don't know how to adjust it, it's driving me crazy and preventing me from using my trunk. Anyone know how I would go about fixing this annoying issue?

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
Rather than mess with the one on the car, grab one from the junk yard, and swap it out. Sometimes things just wear out, or break. I do not think it is repairable. The latches are pretty much all the same.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got a complete pull-down motor and gear for $40 on eBay a couple of months ago. Plug-n-play, and a short (60-day) warranty.

I had the same issue you do, and worked around it like you do, but I finally worried that I was slamming the trunk lid to hard that I might leave indents in the trunk lid!

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
I have two of them, and would like $40 shipped for one. I can guarantee that it will work, or I will replace it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, it actually ended up being the electric release. It was stuck in the 'open' position. Pulled it out and haven't had a problem since. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just fixed one on a 94.Replaced both the latch and the striker with one from pick and pull.Left motor disconnected and the trunk finally closes perfect.I had the same exact problem you are talking about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts