Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I currently have a 92 caprice classic with only 52000 original miles on it. I figured there is no sense in ripping this motor out and replacing it with a 350 or anything bigger right off the rip. So far ive put in a chip and a thrush exhaust. Im looking to see if I can put vortec heads on it. A new cam, long tube headers, a performance intake and throttle body. As well as a posi rear end and a better ignition system. I will be trying to make a cold air intake as well. I would like to switch to electric fans too. Any input and advice would be appreciated thank you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Leave the motor be. Electric fans are a good idea. As are changing the rear gear ratio while installing a quality posi,along with a decent 9.5" torque converter.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
After doing all these things? Yea,but the limitations of the narrow bore are not going to go away. I would encourage you to focus on this motors strong points like strong off-idle torque,excellent mileage (for a V-8),low maintenance expenses,and dependability. All of which are easily ruined by trying to gain a little more power over 5000 rpm at wide open throttle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I meant is there anything else I could besides what you listed? Ive been trying to find out if the vortec heads would work. And trying to find a intake that would fit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So far ive put in a chip and a thrush exhaust. Im looking to see if I can put vortec heads on it. A new cam, long tube headers, a performance intake and throttle body. As well as a posi rear end and a better ignition system. I will be trying to make a cold air intake as well. I would like to switch to electric fans too. Any input and advice would be appreciated thank you.
those are all pretty good ideas for a tbi motor, as you already know 305s arnt the best motors to mod. an lt1 cam is a super cheap mod for these motors. with the right supporting mods people have reported 20-30hp increase on l03/l05 motors. check out this board for some ideas: http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tbi/

GMPP has a upgraded tbi intake but from what ive heard its very pricey. best bet is to go with a carb intake with a tbi adapter

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
It's generally best to build up any car from the back to the front,with the motor being last. Rear-end,trans,and torque converter. Suspension,and brakes next. I suspect you will end up disappointed doing it your way,but who knows.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found the edlebrock performer intakes but they say they wont fit my motor because of the size of the distributor. Is that just a whole I could drill out to fit?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I found the edlebrock performer intakes but they say they wont fit my motor because of the size of the distributor. Is that just a whole I could drill out to fit?
yes, bbody cars have a larger bore for the distributor to make it easier to install/remove because its so close to the firewall

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The posi will be my first purchase. Suspension was gonna be somewhere in the middle. I feel this is gonna be a huge learning process haha. So that intake should match up with everything besides the distributor whole right? With that being said I should just be able to drill it out and put it on and all should be good?

·
Registered
29 Posts
i would do cam/exhaust before doing an intake on a tbi. for what your doing the stock hei distributor should be fine. wont cost much for you to get the distributor hole bored out by a pro.

what are your goals for this car? did you read some of sticky's in the link i posted? theres lots of priceless information about modding tbi motors in there. they can get tricky, you dont want to go to far with them or you'll run into some serious tuning issues. sounds like you have realistic mods in mind for the car. i would start with gears and then go to the motor, a conservatively upgraded cam and cheap headers would make a good upgrade. then supporting mods like bigger injectors (maybe big block tbi unit) and up the fuel pressure a bit. and of course, a tune.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the advice. I did take a quick look at the link. Later I'll look more in depth. Im just trying to get as much out of the car as I can with some bolt ons and what not. Its a low mileage motor so no point in tossing it.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
No point in messing with it at all,really...

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
I gave him good advice. I could tell from the first post he's just itching to go inside that perfectly running motor to make a bunch of changes someone told him would "make more power".I was young once,and you couldn't tell me anything either. Without the supporting mods,changing the camshaft can/will cause driveability issues,and dramatically increase fuel consumption. That is just a fact,and wishing it wasn't so isn't going to change it. Gears,and torque converter are a MUST for a bigger cam. If one just does this,they may decide they don't even want another cam. Same goes for the throttle body,and most of the other stuff too.

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
By the time you are done, you could put in a junkyard LS series 5.3 and its trans. Then you would get double the HP, with the same weight, and about the same cost if you do it yourself. If I had to do my 91 over again, I would just get a 5.4 or 6.0 and install it. Easy, cheap sleeper with stock mufflers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts