Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jus brought a 95 caprice wit a 4.3L (70,000) miles on it. I really dont wanna swap the motor out jus yet cuz of the mileage nd how great it drives! Im lookin to add a lil H/P Can I get a chip for it???? any kind of mods I can do/add???? plz help lol thanks

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
intake,exhuast,etc...

imo you shud just get a LT1, there really cheap on craigslist...and itll be worth it compared to the 4.3

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hey, don't knock the 4.3. Intake, dual exhaust, tune up are good places to start. Our cars don't have chips in them. The computer uses flash memory for the programming. You could talk to one of the several programmers out there about getting retuned, but with most basic mods, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Everything you can do to an LT1 car, you can do to an L99 car (obviously, this also includes tires, brakes, steering, suspension, etc).

If you've got the dough ...

1) 2.25" or 2.5" DUAL catback exhaust
2) 3.42 or 3.73 AND limited slip (3.73 might reveal the need for a new driveshaft from Denny's)
3) high-stall RpM torque converter
4) cool air intake
5) PCM reflash (the more mods, the more important this is)

Installing the following mods on the L99 4.3L V8 are either not worth the time and money, or completely useless (put them on the LT1 when you get it):

heads &/or cam (duuhh)
headers
1.6 roller rockers & upgraded valvesprings
52mm, 54mm, 58mm throttle bodies
F/Y-body MAF Sensor (the smaller B/D-body MAF Sensor exists because of the L99)
160°F thermostat (MpG may go down, L99 won't make more power with it)

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Cop Chip! :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
i'm in the same boat. i've got an L99 with super low miles, so i dont want to pull the motor yet.
i did dual 2.5' exhaust, 4:10 gears and a tune. car goes alright, not all that fast, but a blast to drive.
i'd recomend 3.73s, a little tamer.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
IMHO it's kind of a waste of time cause even a stock LT1 is pretty slow by todays standards so you're at an even bigger handicap if you wanna go fast. Enjoy it for what it is, if you wanna go fast, pick up an LT1 car or something else.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If the car is going to be a DD, don't listen to them^^. The 4.3 is very reliable, just take care of it. Do the recommended maintenance on time. I've got 235,000 on mine and I love it. The wife keeps talking about getting ride of it, and I keep ignoring her, so it all works out. Besides, with the milage one the car, nobody will give me crap for it. The 4.3 may not have the power of the LT1, but it's no slouch either. And like was said earlier, any bolt ons for the LT1 will fit the L99, just remember to coose your upgrades wisely.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
A long long time ago, like 1996, Chevy race shops built up a 265 4.3 to produce over 400 hp, (I think it was done with off the shelf parts) and stuffed it in a yellow 55 chevy.
Maybe someone has the link to the article.cwm1

·
Registered
60 Posts
you should really go with the exhaust...i had flowmaster super 44 series mufflers on my old 95 4.3 and everybody thought it was the 5.7

·
Registered
313 Posts
Don't waste any money on that motor, my caprice had a low mileage 4.3l. $600 bought me a 44k lt1. The best upgrade ever.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Don't waste any money on that motor, my caprice had a low mileage 4.3l. $600 bought me a 44k lt1. The best upgrade ever.
deals like that are hard to find, especially for one with low miles

oh yeah plus i like my odometer matching the engine mileage. so if you know a way to change the digi cluster odometer to match
ill get a lt1 =]

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
here in cali, you can find an lt1 all day for under 1k...you just gotta know how and where to look...ive seeeennnn soooo many lt1...for like 500-600...

you can even buy an lt1 caprice for round 1000 here...there here every now and then...

·
Registered
661 Posts
oh yeah plus i like my odometer matching the engine mileage. so if you know a way to change the digi cluster odometer to match
ill get a lt1 =]
The same people who sell the colored digital clusters on eBay, can also set the mileage to whatever you want so it IS possible.

Just enjoy the 4.3 til you get a Caprice with an LT1 or an SS. IMO its not a bad engine at all

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The same people who sell the colored digital clusters on eBay, can also set the mileage to whatever you want so it IS possible.

Just enjoy the 4.3 til you get a Caprice with an LT1 or an SS. IMO its not a bad engine at all
im sticking with the 4.3 because next is a chevelle so it doesnt make much since do a swap for this then have to do a whole bunch more work than needed. doing all those mods to a 5.7 add up in $$$$$

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
ok i have a good question i know everyone says get a lt1 but im only at 52k on my 4.3 and its my DD. i dont race at all so should i just beef it up like the OP is thinking or get a lt1 and beef that up. we are talking pricewise and most reasonable idea.

it would be nice to have an intimidating 4.3l that beats a 5.7l since everyone wants a 5.7 lol

·
Registered
362 Posts
Here's the thing: to get a 4.3L to do what a 5.7L will do will cost approx. 2x as much. That being said, I'd mod up the 4.3L and drive the crap out of it. If you take care of it, it will last for a loooonnnnnggggg time. Just look at my sig.:D

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Here's the thing: to get a 4.3L to do what a 5.7L will do will cost approx. 2x as much. That being said, I'd mod up the 4.3L and drive the crap out of it. If you take care of it, it will last for a loooonnnnnggggg time. Just look at my sig.:D
all im thinking on doing to be honest is tri-ys, msd ignition, spark plugs, coils, distributor plus cap and rotor. maybe a K&N cai thats all i really had in mind because i dont race so i dont see myself doing cams, rockers, throttle body, etc

i barely even drive the thing i mean i do but not far. so i figure until my engine goes ill stick with the l99 then upgrade to a lt1

1 - 20 of 28 Posts