1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
268 Posts
In my front suspension research, I recall seeing somewhere a mention of longer ball joints, but they just said "better" performance without any explanation. This explanation makes sense in concept, however I wonder what the magnitude difference is? On the public roads, reducing understeer gives good driving feel at the compromise of understeer in all conditions (transitioning to understeer in most conditions), but transitioning too far into oversteer is bad. For a driver who has some understanding of vehicle dynamics (or at least what to do in an oversteer situation), this is an acceptable risk, but for someone who drives a car, truck and van all the same and throws their hands in the air, stomps on the brakes and screams "save me" anytime the car does not go in a predictable path, you can understand why manufacturers err on the side of understeer in all conditions (to keep the lawsuits at a minimum).

QA1 offers various length studs in their ball joints - FYI (looks like Southside is a QA1 distributor, maybe that's where I saw it?).

Interesting that they don't offer lower front control arms?

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FUB, Thanks for your input. I'm not too sure how much understeer would change but it's a consideration. I'm sure that I could adjust to it as I know of the difference. At first this was going to be a DD now I think it will be more of a fun car. On a side note. I just scored some new BMR adjustable upper rear control arms for $180. Still trying to decide on springs. Lots of info to thrash around on here. Thanks again Bud. Still looking for more comments on my original question.

Mark: Snowman-33

1 - 3 of 3 Posts