Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spoken with a company that is willing to make the upper and lower front arms for the B-body. They quoted me $800 for the set of 4. This price is based on just one custom set. The price will come down to around $525 once mulitiple sets are ordered.

I will speak with them again today and try to get a firm price on 10 sets or so. I also need to look into their quality. Right now they do mostly truck applications.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Chris,

What are the specs? Are they exact replacements of stock?

Mike

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK... here's what I learned today.
I will have the uppers re-designed to use a 2" spindle spacer for better geometry.
Lowers will be to factory specs. I still need to work on the ball joint size issue.
Both will use factory size bushings.
For $70 extra, the uppers can have 0-6 deg of camber adjustment (adjustable upper).
Both powder coated ash silver. $25 extra per set for any other color.

It looks like we will be around $525 for the set of 4 arms as a base price.

I'll be shipping the stock arms off tomorrow to get the prototype made. And I'll keep you all posted.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea of the weight difference versus the stockers?

I may be in on this one.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure of the weight at this point. I'll find out though.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris, thanks for spearheading this! I'm interested in what you find out (only a couple hours drive away from you!). Maybe you could break in that new race facility they are proposing near Peoria w/ your '95 roadrace project car :D :D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool Chris, based on my source this seems to be the way to go as he was looking at months before bending and welding metal.

Ed - will this get kabashed by Wilwood spindles?

doug

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doug : the Wilwood spindles are just cut-down stock cores. All of the cutting is in the area around the caliper, nowhere close to the suspension joint contact points (balljoints and tierod) on the spindle. The upper balljoint spacer won't affect them a bit.

Only issue I see with the spacer is that 17" rims minimum will be required in front (to clear the relocated upper balljoint), and it may require 18's. It will take some trial-and-error with the mock-ups on that one. Chris : this is something the vendor should look at, e-mail me offline if you need more info.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Rustic:
OK... here's what I learned today.
I will have the uppers re-designed to use a 2" spindle spacer for better geometry.
Lowers will be to factory specs. I still need to work on the ball joint size issue.
Both will use factory size bushings.
For $70 extra, the uppers can have 0-6 deg of camber adjustment (adjustable upper).
Both powder coated ash silver. $25 extra per set for any other color.

It looks like we will be around $525 for the set of 4 arms as a base price.
I'm very interested.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Rustic:
What changes in arm specs, are anticipated to accommodate the spacer, along with any other changes in geometry anticipated? How will the handling characteristics, with these changes, be affected?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What changes in arm specs, are anticipated to accommodate the spacer, along with any other changes in geometry anticipated? How will the handling characteristics, with these changes, be affected?
Can't speak to the first question, but as for the second....

What is trying to be engineered here is to reverse the camber curve under suspension compression. On our cars, if you compress the front spring the tire will go towards positive camber (i.e. camber out) with more compression. While our case isn't as bad as some other cars, it is still not a desirable trait

With the redesigned spindle height and upper arm, the tire will now camber IN (i.e. go towards negative camber) with suspension compression. This should help turn-in considerably, and let you run softer springs and a LESS aggressive alignment in front (read that as better ride and better tire life) to obtain the type of turn-in that I and others are after.....and are living with compromises right now to get it.

Put another way, it should make the car feel more "nimble" and responsive while keeping a great ride and great tire life.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Gary.....didn't realize someone had already done the measurements/computations on our suspension!

FYI, my current alignment is at -1.0 deg of camber (and basically zero toe). While turn in is great with this, the car does wander some in straight lines and it is having a negative effect on tire wear (i.e. more on inside than out). I've had this alignment about 5K miles, and would wager a guess that it is cutting front tire life by about 50% based on what I am seeing. Something I'm willing to live with (for now
) based on my current usage of the car (weekend toy), but NOT something I would do if it were my daily driver.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is this still going on? I want a set, and I'm broke now, but I'll come up with $600 +shipping to get a set if they perform like they should. Is it going to be limited to a one time production of 10 units, or will it be ongoing production as they are needed, or just however many are ordered initially? This is one thing that I will not miss out on if it get's going. Also, any chance of getting them unfinished?

Ed: Are the bear replacement spindles the same idea as the Willwoods, just claerance the knuckle for the caliper clearance, or would I have problems with them and these arms with the spacer?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No updates yet. :( My fabricator just recieved the stock arms and my instructions today. He said it should only take them a couple of days to put the prototype together... so I sould know something next week.

I'm glad you guys are as excited about this as I am... :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Has anybody thought of building a front suspension from Stock car parts? Use a fabricated spindle to raise the upper ball joint, use AFCO/Coleman/BRP/Howe upper control arms, and trying an off the shelf lower arm?

This gives you the ability to do many nice tings, like have ready mounts for Wilwoods or Brembo Calipers, size a big ass rotor (13x1.375"), set your bump steer geometry, and rework the kingpin inclination, so that we can get rid of the darty steering.

Any thoughts??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts