Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tuesday afternoon at Wolfe's Auction in Terre Haute. Crappy day, lots of junk and lots of over-priced newer...well, junk... But then this came thru. It was there the week before but I didn't get time to bid it, and it went for over $500. The dealer turned it down, hoping for a bigger payday later...he hoped wrong. I got it for $375.

Still had never looked at it at that point beyond a quick walk around but at that price who cared? It ran, it obviously moved. I smell parts car. Then the Grand Cherokee I bought tossed the water pump and so I decided something I bought was coming home. SO I fired her up and away we went. 45 miles later I discovered it has no AC, 238k miles and runs like a raped ape.

Did I mention it's also a V4P car? :D It's also already my new daily. Oh, it came with 4 new tires and a Optima red top...and I won a $100 that day in a card draw after the auction so, basically, I bought a battery and they gave me the car and a new set of Michelins. Some days turn out better than others...

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
I went out to check out a 95 Fleetwood that was for sale last year, and it was equipped with the V4P, and it totally hauled ass .... I test drove it and it was a beast , too bad I had to pass on it, the car just needed way too much cosmetics, and I didnt want to have to put a re-paint on it.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Congratulations on scoring a V4P! Even rarer than WX3.
Kinda silly question: Does the 3-4 UpShift ever occur under 44MpH?
Upshifts are at approx 17, 30 and 47 under fairly regular throttle. All are surprisingly firm.

How's it's roadhandling? I'd guess it'd be somewhere between Caddy float and typically sporty?
I'm not sure what to make of the handling. The tires have a squishy sidewall so there is that but, otherwise, the thing seems a LOT firmer than my green one was before I started mucking around with it. That said, I haven't drove it in a year now so maybe my memory is screwy.

It's all coming apart next week. Limited slip, rear discs, HO bars, imp springs in the back and whatever number the front springs I bought for the green one are, Imp wheels and Nitto 275/50 450's. Send the comp off to be programmed...and switch my bumpers... Hood comes off tomorrow to go to the paint shop and the seat heads for the upholsterer.

Hopefully there'll be pics of her done shortly after. I might add a cam and a converter over the winter, then I am probably going to flat out drive her into the ground.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oddity appeared today: Leaving the exhaust shop (Oh God, what a mess) I floored the thing for the first time from a (slow) rolling start. Both back tires went up in smoke.

No Fleet came factory with limited slip, did it? V4P is just gears, cooling, shift points and alternator, yes?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
No Fleet came factory with limited slip, did it?
For V4Ps, G80 was available as an option.
V4P is just gears, cooling, shift points and alternator, yes?
Heavy Duty 4L60E.
Significantly different transmission management parameters - greater line pressures and 'Tow/Haul'-type shiftpoints specifically for towing 7000 lbs, at the cost of MpGs.
Mechanical fan & 240W 2ndary electrical fan (aka V08 cooling option).
All LT1 Caprices, Roadmasters, and Fleetwoods were automatically paired with a 140amp alternator.
Also, check your suspension options, I very highly doubt you have RPO 'FE1'.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FE2 and GU6, no G80 on the sticker. But hell, someone could have put a limited slip in it at some point...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oddity appeared today: Leaving the exhaust shop (Oh God, what a mess) I floored the thing for the first time from a (slow) rolling start. Both back tires went up in smoke.

No Fleet came factory with limited slip, did it? V4P is just gears, cooling, shift points and alternator, yes?

I have a complete uncut oem exhaust out of a tx car I would sell super cheap if you need it. At 60185

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx, bud, but I am piecing together an exhaust already.

Haven't had much time to work on it, but part of the duals are on, the Imp wheels and the clean up is moving along...

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hotrod Caddy for under $300. I'm jealous!!

Nice job, sir. You won't see that missing quarter panel trim sitting behind the wheel with that big grin on your face!! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts