Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 96 impala with about 37000 miles on it. The only thing i have done to the car is a set of flowmasters and a drop in k&n filter. Should i replace the plugs and wires since they are the original ones? Car seems to be runing fine but would like it to be a little quicker. If so which plugs and wire set should i use? Anything else i should do? I tried to use the search engine but since that crash we had nothing comes up. Thanks for your time.

· Premium Member
5,757 Posts
You have a car that hasn't been driven much. Great for collectors, but it leave lotsa time for corrosion. I would do the following:
  1. Change the plugs AND Wires.
  2. Flush the radiator and trans fluids
  3. Lube the suspention
  4. Have the tires inspected for age issues and dry- rotting,

· Registered
2,572 Posts
+1 to those suggestions with one exception. Do not flush the trans - ever, just change the fluid & filter.

· Premium Member
5,757 Posts
@ 235,000 miles, my trans has been flushed 3 times since 100,000 miles. Go to someone who knows what their doing. Make sure they use fresh fluid. No worries. I don't know who's keep the stock trans alive longest, but mine has survived burnouts, dounughts, and me otherwise driving like a total arsehole.

I'm a little nicer to it these days.

· Registered
5,772 Posts
@ 235,000 miles, my trans has been flushed 3 times since 100,000 miles. Go to someone who knows what their doing. Make sure they use fresh fluid. No worries. I don't know who's keep the stock trans alive longest, but mine has survived burnouts, dounughts, and me otherwise driving like a total arsehole.

I'm a little nicer to it these days.
My original trans lasted to 248K until it died a brutal death... Probably would've lasted longer, but I beat the piss out of my cars...cwm4

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. I just want my car to be a little quicker off the line. I remember when i bought it i could spin the tires from a dead stop, now they tires wont even spin when i punch it. What could be wrong? Thanks again.

· Premium Member
5,757 Posts
All the above items. Letting a car sit is more damaging than driving the doors off it if it's not stored properly.

Maybe you should get it Motorvac'd too. Its a deep carbon cleansing. Woke my 235,000 miler right up.

· Registered
2,703 Posts
+1 to those suggestions with one exception. Do not flush the trans - ever, just change the fluid & filter.
Who started this old wives tale? Give us one iota of evidence to support this ridiculous notion. Not "I heard" or "My friend said", etc. Real facts.

· Registered
2,713 Posts
Hello everyone. I have a 96 impala with about 37000 miles on it. The only thing i have done to the car is a set of flowmasters and a drop in k&n filter. Should i replace the plugs and wires since they are the original ones? Car seems to be runing fine but would like it to be a little quicker. If so which plugs and wire set should i use? Anything else i should do? I tried to use the search engine but since that crash we had nothing comes up. Thanks for your time.
Agree, change the plugs and wires. Use AC Delco plugs and get good wires, Taylor/MSD. Get a performance tune for it, that will help being a little quicker. Other then that, you will need to start buying parts for it. There is a sticky that gives you all the advice you need to make it quicker. But remember, quicker means money.

You in SoCal?

· Premium Member
5,757 Posts
the only trans. flush machines i've seen, no i haven't seen them all, are just pumps that recirculate fluid.
The ones I've seen pump the old fluid out and new fluid in. a crocked mechanic certainly could run the fluid from whatever vehicle before you, but that's why you watch them, or go to a reputable shop that you know won't try to screw you. I work at a shop so I see what happens in our bays.

· Registered
2,572 Posts
" Originally Posted by fbi9c1 View Post
+1 to those suggestions with one exception. Do not flush the trans - ever, just change the fluid & filter."
"Who started this old wives tale? Give us one iota of evidence to support this ridiculous notion. Not "I heard" or "My friend said", etc. Real facts."

OK, you flush yours and do it often. There are many who have experienced failure not too long after flushing, but all of you that think this is an "old wives tale", go ahead and flush away. The idea is to try to retain some of the friction material as these transmissions get in the high mileage range rather than to flush every last bit of it away. My good advice is withdrawn, you guys do what you want with your cars.

· Registered
661 Posts
The ones I've seen pump the old fluid out and new fluid in. a crocked mechanic certainly could run the fluid from whatever vehicle before you, but that's why you watch them, or go to a reputable shop that you know won't try to screw you. I work at a shop so I see what happens in our bays.
very true. always know what someone is doing to your car. i worked at a less than reputable shop for a while. it's scary sometimes. bad thing is they seem to be in the majority.

nine6ss has 3x,xxx miles. why flush?
firewood had 100,000 miles and i belive a sticking valve. why not flush.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.