Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for any links,treads,pictures,tips and or tricks, anything that will ease the installation process of installing a Tuned Port Injection (TPI) in a 92 TBI Wagon.I been using the search option and I cant seem the right wording or spelling.I do remember seeing on the forum someone has done this,not sure if was before the site crashing anyway any help would be great.All I know about the TPI setup that I have is that it has after market intake,larger runners, larger injectors and 1000 cfm throttle-body.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Well for ECM get an EBL flash.

www.dynamicefi.com with the port mod. (so much easier theen getting a new harness)

Also a hi pressure fuel pump is in order. I would get a walbaro 255 or better, as I got a stock LT1 replacment and for all that work and money I could have had a bigger pump.

You will have to knotch the cowl (atleast I had to) to get the dizzy in.

IAC, INT, and TPS need to be wired along with the fuel injectors.

Overtop TBI a tpi is fn awesome, it made a big difference a very very big difference.

Do you have a ported base? Dont expect it to rev high, as mine stopped at around 5k so its not a rever by any means.

I have pics somewhere of my install, any other questions fire away, ive takled it, but have sold my setup.

Lakeffect has also done this swap.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not really pertinent to the thread.

But I lol'd at the rusty block and water pump and all and the kinda clean pulleys lol
I hope that you didn't hurt your self LOL :D.The block has been sitting for more than 6years before I aquired it,in the next few weeks it will be all disassemble and sent out to get refreshed

Well for ECM get an EBL flash.

www.dynamicefi.com with the port mod. (so much easier theen getting a new harness)

Also a hi pressure fuel pump is in order. I would get a walbaro 255 or better, as I got a stock LT1 replacment and for all that work and money I could have had a bigger pump.

You will have to knotch the cowl (atleast I had to) to get the dizzy in.

IAC, INT, and TPS need to be wired along with the fuel injectors.

Overtop TBI a tpi is fn awesome, it made a big difference a very very big difference.

Do you have a ported base? Dont expect it to rev high, as mine stopped at around 5k so its not a rever by any means.

I have pics somewhere of my install, any other questions fire away, ive takled it, but have sold my setup.

Lakeffect has also done this swap.
Thanks alot for the helpfull info, any pics. of the finished setup before you sold it.

Lakeffect got any pics to share

******besides these two wagons any sedan setups out there with the TPI not the LT1 setup.******

·
Registered
6,443 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts

It's likely I can answer a few questions for you along the way.

I didn't notch the cowl, but found I had to install the intake manifold and distributor as one movement. Otherwise, there is not enough clearance to stab the dizzy in when the manifold is already mounted. (learned that the hard way after the manifold sealant was already applied and dry)

The cowl also poses an issue when you are loading the long block in. When you go to mount the chains, for the rear, use the exhaust header bolt holes at cylinders 5 & 6. Any attempt to hang chains off the rear of the block will result in the cowl blocking the attempt.

this is the original archived thread: part 1

http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/forum2009/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=29151

Part two (mentioned by killer racing)

http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/forum2009/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35895

part three.
http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/forum2009/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46649

Some of it actually talks about the swap, a lot of it was just insanity with some of the guy, so you have to look for the golden nuggets of swapping between all the hardened layers of bull****. Between parts I, 2 & 3. It was the most read thread in the history of NAISSO at the time. Over 40,000 hits altogether.

Most of the wagon guys are now at a different forum. The legend lives on at:
http://gmlongroof.4umer.com/91-6-b-body-wagon-general-discussion-f1/shammoo-update-t574.htm

A tremendous source of info will be the guys at Thirdgen.com You'll want the view sections on DIY prom, DFI and ECM, and TPI at the following site. They have been invaluable in helping me sort out my issues, (Well at least the ones not requiring a psychiatrist)

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/?

here's my photobucket pictures online at:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v655/lakeffect/

Mine sits on a 400 block.

·
Registered
446 Posts
[/quote]

A tremendous source of info will be the guys at Thirdgen.com You'll want the view sections on DIY prom, DFI and ECM, and TPI at the following site. They have been invaluable in helping me sort out my issues, (Well at least the ones not requiring a psychiatrist)

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/?

[/quote]

+1
I'm working on mine also..............

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Yeah indefenitly, thirdgen.org alot of helpful guys on there its a guy who is the like kurt sends me pics all the time of something lol.

Dynamicefi is a must, seriously no extra wiring as mentioned before.

Russ how is everything going? You found a base to that intake yet?

The Tq it produces over the TBi is stupid, its a big difference.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The cowl also poses an issue when you are loading the long block in. When you go to mount the chains, for the rear, use the exhaust header bolt holes at cylinders 5 & 6. Any attempt to hang chains off the rear of the block will result in the cowl blocking the attempt.
I hung the motor by intake bolts in the center of the engine (bolts 1 and 3 for the torque sequence).

Also had to buy a piece of 2x3 rectangular tubing since the boom on my cherry picker was too short. Probably not a problem with cherry pickers dont fold up...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah indefenitly, thirdgen.org alot of helpful guys on there its a guy who is the like kurt sends me pics all the time of something lol.

Dynamicefi is a must, seriously no extra wiring as mentioned before.

Russ how is everything going? You found a base to that intake yet?

The Tq it produces over the TBi is stupid, its a big difference.
I have everything I need now except lokar cables and fuel line, I converted to EBL Flash awhile back, so sooner or later I will have to just gut up and start Hacking Away! :p

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have everything I need now except lokar cables and fuel line, I converted to EBL Flash awhile back, so sooner or later I will have to just gut up and start Hacking Away! :p
Go for it Russ, but make sure you set aside a few extra hundred for crap you didn't think of... little stuff like when you realize the oil pressure sensor for the ECM is right in the middle of where the headers go and you need a 90* pipe fitting.

If you get lonely out in the garage, I'll hook you up with Paris, and she can polish your radiator cross member for you as well. Hopefully she won't scuff your paint with her damned pink boots like she did to my car..

All that money... but no class.. Can you beeleeeeve it!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Go for it Russ, but make sure you set aside a few extra hundred for crap you didn't think of... little stuff like when you realize the oil pressure sensor for the ECM is right in the middle of where the headers go and you need a 90* pipe fitting.

If you get lonely out in the garage, I'll hook you up with Paris, and she can polish your radiator cross member for you as well. Hopefully she won't scuff your paint with her damned pink boots like she did to my car..

All that money... but no class.. Can you beeleeeeve it!

I already have headers so I'm OK there.. Although I do need to grab a Roadmaster sending unit so I can do my olds CC dash mod.
Tell me again... Which product did you use for your fuel lines?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Just curious but why go TPI?

Seems like alot of money when you can make alot more HP cheaper.

·
Registered
511 Posts

True... A Holley Stealth Ram unit will flow on the top end better.
I did it because I was always enamored by the looks of the TPI setup. When I get tired of no top end, the HSR will go on some day after that.. But to my eyes, it doesn't have the same visual appeal.

Russ, I used used a very thick HIGH PRESSURE blue Fuel line from the filter to the front crossmember. At that point, for looks I went to braided line. You can see the blue hose in one of the photos below.

·
Registered
446 Posts

My main reason is the same, freak factor. it just looks cool. But I'm also a torque guy, I was torn between this or a 454, I liked to look of this.

True... A Holley Stealth Ram unit will flow on the top end better.
I did it because I was always enamored by the looks of the TPI setup. When I get tired of no top end, the HSR will go on some day after that.. But to my eyes, it doesn't have the same visual appeal.

Russ, I used used a very thick HIGH PRESSURE blue Fuel line from the filter to the front crossmember. At that point, for looks I went to braided line. You can see the blue hose in one of the photos below.

Did you have to cut and flare the hard line?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Russ wrote: "Did you have to cut and flare the hard line?"

There is no more hard line. From the tank sender outlet is blue hose to filter.
From filter, is blue hose to the the front cross-member. Fittings as shown then change to pretty braided stuff to manifold inlet fittings. I kept the original return line in place and in use, from the crossmember back to the tank as it is under relatively little pressure. From the manifold return line to the crossmember is braided hose. It has not created any issues.

I just cranked up my fuel pressure as I was running lean at the top end. The static "key on - engine off" pressure was 42lbs, but running pressure dropped to 37. I boosted the running pressure to 42 instead and am not seeing the rising BLM numbers that used to in my data logs. If you haven't done so (I didn't look to find out) throw in a Walbro 255lph pump in the tank. Also for $4.39 when you drop the tank, put a drain plug in it. You won't be sorry. The Walbro uses a different fuel sock from a Mustang not a GM sock. Where the GM pump intake is small and off center, the Walbro is a larger diameter, bigger and centered. You'll also want to cut away away half the rubber vibration boot as the Walbro is larger and the sending unit actually tapers down at the bottom. Using half the boot gave the pump room to seat all the way into the sender but still isolated bad vibes.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts

I went for looks, plus I didnt want to make a Gen1 lt1, also the tq it makes, it was cheap for me, as I dont have big money to drop on a different intake.

Over a TBI car, this is a large improvement, and my tune was never right, it was a big big big difference.

No ones expecting that intake to be under the hood of a caprice.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts