Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! How do I go about tuning my 91 caprice wagon? It has a 305 and plans for a tbi 350. I have eehack and Tunerpro for tuning my B4U.
Will I be able to use Tunerpro on my 91?
Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have eehack and Tunerpro for tuning my B4U.
Eehack is for OBD1 LT1 PCM only. I think Tunerpro is for OBD2 only. I am pretty sure you 91 transmission is not electronic. I think if anything can be done it is of the type where you have to remove and program a memory chip that is now very hard to find. The programming software was very basic and you needed to use and understand several pieces of software very well. LT1 owners are lucky that programing software was made and easy to use compared to other platform options.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whould it even need to be tuned, if I dropped in a tbi 350 with a very mild cam?

I use eehack is for flashing the OBD1 pcm, and use tunerpro to modify the .bin file on my B4U.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Done mine. Yes to TunerPro. No to your hardware. 91 requires replacing socket inside of PCM. You need a Moates chip burner. Think it's a Burn2 Need a blank chip or two. A ZIF socket makes swaping chips much easier.
All my info is on other laptop if you want to pursue.
Definition file is 6E i recall vs EE. A 350 probably won't run right as the 91-93 rely on VE tables and expect certain size injectors as it calculates the fuel pulses. A PCM from a 350 would be a better choice. A cam will affect the VE values so table look up will be off. Closed loop it will probably compensate enough, but open will not be ideal.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
If you're curious. Looked up what i ordered for doing the 91. This was back in 2012. Already had a handheld reader for the info I needed. If you want to get into tuning, think of it as learning material. Also, need to know how to unsolder and solder in the new socket. Moates can do that to your unit if needed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tuning the lt1 spoiled me! I didn't think tuning the 91 would cost that much.
Seems fairly straightforward at least.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hello! How do I go about tuning my 91 caprice wagon? It has a 305 and plans for a tbi 350. I have eehack and Tunerpro for tuning my B4U.
Thanks ahead of time!
To answer your question about tunerpro. Yes & no. Yes it can be done but costs $$. No, not with your current PCM. Check this out. DynamicEFI This set-up will allow you to tune on the car without switching chips. You will need a laptop. I just went ahead and ordered the entire thing as shipping to and from would have negated any savings. And I have a spare PCM if needed.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The DynamicEFI set up is very cool! But unfortunately I don't have $450 laying around.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I'd like to know how that works out. I looked at it too, but it seemed the base tunes were too generic.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
I'd like to know how that works out. I looked at it too, but it seemed the base tunes were too generic.
I wish I could give a definitive answer on this. I have been collecting parts for awhile and haven't gotten this far. Rocko350, if he's still about, has made several comments. I believe he has used it in more than one car. He's recommended it.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Yep, remember Rocko350 well. And do believe he did. Would be great if he's provide one of his tunes to start from.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Yep, remember Rocko350 well. And do believe he did. Would be great if he's provide one of his tunes to start from.
Maybe if all us LO engine guys started chanting Rocko, Rocko he may come back.🙏

Reactions: 91ss

·
Registered
225 Posts
The DynamicEFI set up is very cool! But unfortunately I don't have $450 laying around.
I have a used one for sale I used in my '89 Caprice. Comes with the proper serial to USB adapter. PM me if interested.

EDIT: My L05 ran better out of the box with one of the base tunes. I eventually rebuilt a motor with vortec heads, headers, BB TBI, etc. Ran ok but I never got it dialed in before I sold the motor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts