Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title states, I'm looking for the best/cost effective laptop tuning components (hardware, software, and interface). Thanks fellas.

Links too please!

-Mike

·
Registered
964 Posts
cletus284 is right, those packages are priced pretty well and have everything you need. The laptop requirement is pretty much anything that will run WinXP without swapping: basically Pentium III with 512Mb RAM or better if you keep all the crap off it.

My weapon of choice is a Panasonic Toughbook CF-73. 1Gb of RAM, built-in wireless, magnesium case, touch screen, handle, yadda, yadda, yadda.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
Netbooks if you want new will suffice. Even Accer has a $300 full size laptop at Wal-Mart with decent specs and windows 7 and would run T/C no issue. I have to check my laptop recycle pile at work to see if there's any goodies worth turning into tuning laptops

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Netbooks if you want new will suffice. Even Accer has a $300 full size laptop at Wal-Mart with decent specs and windows 7 and would run T/C no issue. I have to check my laptop recycle pile at work to see if there's any goodies worth turning into tuning laptops
I agree with netbooks. I got a Toshiba NB305 from a friend solely for tuning. Battery lasts longer than any tuning session I'm going to do away from power lol. It's alot better than lugging around my 15.6" widescreen Asus G50VT-X5.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Two things about the netbook:
no serial port
Make sure you get a USB interface since serial ports are going the way of the floppy drive. Not as much of a problem if you are buying from scratch, but my old interfaces are both serial and would need to be converted.

small screen
I really enjoy the real estate of working from my office and only work locally on the laptop in a pinch. What I usually do is hook it all up in the car and then go into my office and work on the 24" dual monitor display where I can bring up the log files, spreadsheets, Scilab and Remote Desktop to the laptop in the car. Just make sure your programming machine has a good wifi connection to the home network. All I am missing is a remote ignition switch cwm4

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Okay, I have a newer Toshiba laptop (XP, 1 GB RAM, yada, yada), but it has no serial port, something I thought was indeed needed to tune our cars. What about OBDII? I've currently got an OBDI PCM with the tach mod, but would like to update my OBDII PCM when it's time for inspection.

-Mike

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, is there any difference between the actual 'under dash' port from OBD I to OBD II, as again, I've got a 96 with an OBD I PCM w/ tach mod? I'm a little confused at looking at the TunerCat site.

-Mike

·
Registered
964 Posts
You get to choose if you are buying new :D I would have to send my interface back to Andrew to have it converted to USB if I wanted.

Looks like the only kits TunerCat offers are USB:
http://www.tunercat.com/cables/lt1kit.html

If you go the traditional route (AKM Cable separate from TunerCat), you just need to choose the USB cable:
http://akmcables.com/ic.htm

We posted at the same time...
Also, is there any difference between the actual 'under dash' port from OBD I to OBD II, as again, I've got a 96 with an OBD I PCM w/ tach mod? I'm a little confused at looking at the TunerCat site.
Just the connector. You need to tell whoever you buy the interface from about this or you will get the wrong connector. I think this is how the 1995 F-cars are (OBD-1 with a DLC).

·
Registered
769 Posts
Okay, I have a newer Toshiba laptop (XP, 1 GB RAM, yada, yada), but it has no serial port, something I thought was indeed needed to tune our cars. What about OBDII? I've currently got an OBDI PCM with the tach mod, but would like to update my OBDII PCM when it's time for inspection.

-Mike

-Mike
You actually could be better running the OBD-1 conversion PCM for your emissions check (in Ohio). PM me for details.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I believe the plug is different. PM aknovaman, he should have the cable you need, I bought mine from him but my plug is still OBD1. I wouldn't buy another laptop if you have one, Tunercats runs fine on Windows 7 for me.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I'm using an ASUS Eee PC running Windows XP.
Ditto. I plug it into the high def tv in the living room when I need a bigger desk top.
I've got Aknovaman's cable modified to a 1/4" head phone jack. I did panel mount head phone jacks in both my vehicles so I don't worry about the cable coming undone accidentally. Some modding was required.

-Brian

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Ditto. I plug it into the high def tv in the living room when I need a bigger desk top.
I've got Aknovaman's cable modified to a 1/4" head phone jack. I did panel mount head phone jacks in both my vehicles so I don't worry about the cable coming undone accidentally. Some modding was required.

-Brian
Wow thats a great idea!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts