Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
My tweeters are in the pillar like new cars. Not sure where they put the crossover.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Talked the installer and he put the crossover behind the radio in the dash.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
My tweets are up on the A-Pillars. The x-overs are in the trunk under the false floor. Mid-bass drivers are in the doors. Some said not to run tham that far away, but they have been perfect and I have had zero issues. The only real downfall is that I had to run a good amount of extra speaker wire to do it this way... This is the way I will run them in my 240Z also.

·
Registered
260 Posts
JL Audio Tweeters in the A-pillars, crossovers behind kickpanels, 6.5 Peerless Midbass in doors and ID Horns under the dash. The tweeters and horns are amazing, my stage is well above eye level. Still have a set of MTX 6x9s in the rear (dont know why) lol only problem is my midbass, its not there, thinking I need a seperate amp or try some new ones. I can say that the highs are extremly loud and clear and you cant tell the direction of sound from any angle, if you try to look at any speaker in the car, the sound always pulls you to the front center, I love it

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I've got my tweeters on the sail panels and my mids in the doors. My passenger side crossover is in the kick panel while the driver side crossover is up in the dash. The Pioneer Premier crossovers are huge. My Focal crossovers both fit in the kick panels.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've got my tweeters on the sail panels and my mids in the doors. My passenger side crossover is in the kick panel while the driver side crossover is up in the dash. The Pioneer Premier crossovers are huge. My Focal crossovers both fit in the kick panels.
yeah I know how you feel about those Premier Crossovers, I have them in my Avalanche: PRS 6 3/4 components in the front doors and PRS 5.25s in the rear doors, I had to mount the crossovers in the back next to the amps and batteries lol

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
yeah I know how you feel about those Premier Crossovers, I have them in my Avalanche: PRS 6 3/4 components in the front doors and PRS 5.25s in the rear doors, I had to mount the crossovers in the back next to the amps and batteries lol
Out of everything I've read and heard, they're some of the best speakers for SQ that can be had for under $1200.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Out of everything I've read and heard, they're some of the best speakers for SQ that can be had for under $1200.
Yes they sound amazing. Best sounding speakers I have owned. My only complaint is they are not as loud as I would like them to be. Im pushing my Components with an MTX 1002, My caprice is much louder and I only have an Orion 8004, but horns are very loud. As far as the price, Im glad I had friends with these speakers, I got the 6 3/4 set for $250 from a slightly used SQ car and I got the 5.25s set from a friend for $100 he later gave me the tweeters for free. Im gonna eventually put those in the A-pillars, I think I will then be a little happier with the stage and volume (hopefully)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The only complaint people have about these speakers is that the tweeters can get a little harsh at higher volumes. What kind of power are you giving them? I'm feeding mine about 130 RMS, all clean power. My amp is rated to do 200x2 at 4 ohms bridged and I've got the gains turned down. I haven't metered the output from the amp yet, but I'll probably do that sometime when the weather starts to warm up a little in the spring to see what kind of power they're actually seeing. The one thing I don't like about them is the liquid cooled tweeters. They perform fine, but when they're cold, they sound like crap. They need to warm up before they sound good. I had the same issues with my Focals that I had before. All in all, I'd buy these speakers again and definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a great SQ speaker.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well the amp is rated at 125x4 at 4 ohms and its clean power with the amps turned all the way down, its just not loud enough for me but then again my car is getting a more powerful input signal with a 7 volt rms Eq. You're right about the tweeters sounding bad until they warm up

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Well the amp is rated at 125x4 at 4 ohms and its clean power with the amps turned all the way down, its just not loud enough for me but then again my car is getting a more powerful input signal with a 7 volt rms Eq. You're right about the tweeters sounding bad until they warm up
I don't know why they had to use liquid cooled tweeters. They sound great after they warm up, but you know exactly how they sound when they're cold. It's a trait of liquid cooled tweeters.

With 7 volts or 2.5 volts for the preouts, it shouldn't affect what the amp puts out. The amp is rated at 125x4 @ 4 ohms. With the lower voltage preout, you'll have to turn the gain up higher, but as long as the voltage coming out of the amp does not exceed 22.36 VAC, the amp will not clip. 22.36 VAC will be 125 watts RMS at 4 ohms. That's assuming the amp can actually do 125 watts as well. Some amps are overrated.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I mounted my tweets next to the mids in the doors when I was running a comp set. Stage was low, but imaging was very good. My stage height was about halway up the dash.

It just depends on what you want out of the setup.

Do you want it to be just loud and clear? Or are you looking for something more? Stage height? Imaging?

I went pretty serious about all my placements for a while, but now that Im running horns I just appreciate high volume with good clarity.

Just be sure you know what kind of sound you want out of the set before you start cutting panels

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.