Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody/everybody experience this?

It's sunny, super damn sunny, sunglasses on midday sunny, and your headlights are on. A big black cloud blocks the sun, and the headlights go off.

Or, it's a dark, gloomy, cloudy, rainy day. Your lights are off, and you have to pull the lever manually.

This is my 3rd daily-driven Fleetwood in about 10 years. All of them were like this. WTF is the point of the Twilight Sentinel / light sensing system if it doesn't work? I've always found it to be just annoying. Dunno...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
IDK is there a way to adjust the sensitivity or something? Maybe it's just me...

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Can't say I have ever had troubles with this dating back to the 60's. Perhaps just clean the lens? The contacts at the plugs?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Mine always turns the lights on when it is dark enough. Nevertheless, sometimes it can turn the lights on when it is sunny. I can live with that.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Geez, you found something else I never use.
-Gets dark, pull switch.
-Using wipers, pull switch.
-Left-laners, never pull switch. Just go around. ;)

I've learned there's a whole bunch of idiots out there who apparently had even dumber parents musta told them that means slow down. :mad:

Sorry for the threadjack.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess it's only me, in 3 different Fleetwoods.

Typically, I don't even use it, because I find it distracting. The lights are on when it's dark, for sure, but also when it's sunny. Unless it's cloudy, then the lights go out. Never could figure that out. Just thought I'd throw it out there for discussion. :(

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Now that I think about I did have a Lincoln that did that. Just stopped using it and never figured it out. It was just a Linc, after all.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I've never really used the automatic lights on my Lincoln either. lol

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
There's humor there somewhere that I'm missing, I'm just sure of it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's humor there somewhere that I'm missing, I'm just sure of it.
In my last post? Dunno...I only put the headlights on the auto setting once or twice in my Lincoln, and never really observed how they functioned in different light settings. The Cadillacs, on the other hand, I have a lot more experience with, 3 different cars daily driven, and I have used the TS for periods of time, observing its strange behavior.

·
Registered
438 Posts
my 95 commercial chasis caddy those that, when i start i up, it's sunny and the lights are on, than it's cloudy or raining and they are off, just like your does, i have it on auto, i just let it do what it wants, it don't bother me, but the 95 brouham don't do that.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Ahhh, I figured there was a dig there at Lincolns and I was too thick to catch it. Not that I mind picking on Poor Mans Cadillacs...erm, Lincolns. I freely admit the only reasons I ever owned them was when I didn't have the money for a Caddy.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HAHA...I got my Linc from my father-in-law. First, last, and only Ford. ;)

The funny thing is with all the stupid things that ever went wrong on that car, I joined the Lincoln forum for some guidance. Of course, they're all Lincoln cheerleaders there, and one guy had in his signature "Lincoln - The Cadillac of cars."

Needless to say, I was offended. :(

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
HAHA...I got my Linc from my father-in-law. First, last, and only Ford. ;)

The funny thing is with all the stupid things that ever went wrong on that car, I joined the Lincoln forum for some guidance. Of course, they're all Lincoln cheerleaders there, and one guy had in his signature "Lincoln - The Cadillac of cars."

I would be offended with "Cadillac - The Lincoln of cars" :D

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I kept my Badass94Cad name on that forum too, so I think they were already prejudiced against me! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Of course, they're all Lincoln cheerleaders there, and one guy had in his signature "Lincoln - The Cadillac of cars."
That makes my brain hurt. Did you try and explain this logical discontinuity to the guy or just keep your distance? :D

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Actually, the nimrod was paying GM's flagship division the ultimate compliment.

Hey, I remembered yet one more thing I never use on my car, besides the butt warmer and shift indicator. I removed the trunk lock. cwm1

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
daylight running lights

Hmmmm...my headlights are always on. How do I disable that? Thought that by sliding it to the side I was turning the twilight sentinel off :confused:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts