Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

· Premium Member
46 Posts
Twilight Sentinel

I have a 96 RMW Limited and started experiencing a problem with the dash lights not coming on when the twilight sentinel turned the headlights on. After reading the previous posts, I checked the Twilight Sentinel module in the passenger side kick panel and sure enough, there was a break in one of the solder joints. I resoldered it and everything works fine now. Thanks for the great write-up about this problem.

BorcherSS
95 BBB SS Wagon
96 Buidk RMW Limited

· Registered
21 Posts
in my '96 SS it was behind carpeted kick panel to the right of passengers foot area. Remove that black plastic (wide, about 2 feet across?) cover from under glovebox CAREFULLY- little tabs press in and then it will come down and out. Then the carpeted triangular side piece -again CAREFULLY wiggle it forward, up and out off the tabs. Then look for a plastic covered (whitish color, I think) module about the size of a big bar of soap or oversized cig pack. Unplug it. Gently press the tabs and slide the soldered board out.......I'd rather not rip mine out again to snap a pic, so hopefully you'll find it.

· Registered
1,178 Posts
If you have a 94-96 B-body it's behind the Right kick panel else the early ones are above the steering column. Same color whiteish box.

· Registered
122 Posts
Just to be completely sure, since im still not, and this is probably a stupid question...Are all of the lights supposed to come on automatically or just the headlamps? mine just dose the headlamps, and if thats not right, id love to do this fix. :) Thank you to who ever answers my completely stupid question lol.

· Registered
122 Posts
Ok, I have pulled my module out, and I can see no soldering issues with it at all, I attached a picture of each side of it. Actually I have found one failure point. I will fix it, and let you know how it goes!

Attachments

· Registered
122 Posts
IT WORKS!!! :D:D I have mended it, thank you to GoldSSWagon, who gave me a direct answer like I was looking for, and thank you to the person who made this thread. :D Now on to fixing my Opera Lamp.

· Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Glad it worked out for ya and saved a trip to yard :)

· Registered
413 Posts
Only my headlights were coming on. Not the dash lights or the turns and tails.
Took mine apart and noticed broke solder. Fixed it and now they work perfect.

· Registered
137 Posts
My issue with the twilight was that everything worked except the taillights. I had even bought a used module from a forum member and still no taillights. After seeing this post I took mine apart and with two pair of reading glasses I was able to see two suspect solder joints. I solder those two joints and plugged the module back in and SUCCESS, taillights working. I have not used the TS for over 5 years but I decided if I was going to keep the Impala I was going to get everything in proper working order.

At any rate it appears this is the FIX when it comes to TS problems, my thanks to the OP who shared this info.

· Registered
197 Posts
Why would you remove the TS? If you don't like the TS just turn your lights on manually
My cigarette lighter got stuck and it burnt up all the wires on from the T/S and that made a stuff stop working like the headlights rear lights and the whole cluster. So I removed the wire and now it all works again and I removed DRL. My dash lights to ac and light controls never work since i bought the car. I was wondering if the T/S has anything to do with the dash lights.

· Registered
122 Posts
All of your lights should come on with the Twilight Sentinel. Headlamps, Parking lamps, Tail Lamps, Instrument cluster, radio, and other interior lamps, and cornering lamps. if they dont, you need to do this fix or find a replacement module. :)

· Registered
197 Posts
All of your lights should come on with the Twilight Sentinel. Headlamps, Parking lamps, Tail Lamps, Instrument cluster, radio, and other interior lamps, and cornering lamps. if they dont, you need to do this fix or find a replacement module. :)
I had a short in my dash wiring from the cigarette lighter being stuck in too long and it only burnt up TS wires that go over the dash. I removed it and everything is working again except the dashlights. I tried to change the transistor by the steering column. And I checked the fuses there all ok. You think the TS has anything to do with this??? All the other lights are working.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.