Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like you, I was terribly saddened at the great ISSF data loss of 2009. Shortly after, I was made a moderator of the drivetrain, wagon and engine problems/maintenance sections. It was my goal to catalog as many useful bits of information in those sections as I could. I decided to use a single "sticky thread" at the top of each of those sections to keep useful threads linked. This both gave the freedom to link as many threads as were useful and also to keep the sections from getting cluttered up.

I am pleased to write that the sticky threads in the engine problems/maintenance and drivetrain sections have now crossed over into multiple posts each. This is due to the 10,000 character limit per post. I view this as a very good thing. It means there's a lot of good information that's quickly accessible just by viewing those two threads!

Maintenance sticky.

Drivetrain sticky.

·
Registered
785 Posts
awesome, thanks for all the info and help you give to the forum

·
Super Moderator
8,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I forgot to mention - there is NO WAY I can keep up with all of the traffic in these sections. If you see a thread that ought to be linked, please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
8,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank YOU for those videos you posted - I just saw the thread and stickied it last night.

You make a real good point on the newbs. 99% of these questions have already been asked. We don't do ourselves any favors by replying to these new threads with the same old questions rather than linking back to the good threads with lots of info. It makes for needless churn, and it spreads the information over multiple threads. So then you have to read multiple threads instead of just one to get the answer you're looking for.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Very true. I appreciate all the knowledge you and many others provide and I try to help others when possible (with my limited experiences). Pero, I do hate when I'm trying to research something and end up reading 4 threads that all have good info in them, which should be in 1 thread.

HACK, I will be donating a few bucks to you this year.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
There's no magic cure for youth, and eerone has to live through it to eventually become embittered crusty ol' know-it-all farts, - like some us is. cwm1

That said, how's about we figure out a pro-active way to nudge yung-uns into pretending just a little less ADHDDTD and impatience, and instead placing a little more attention on learning the incredible rewards of a little search first. I see a lot a guys here (and me only sporatically) taking WAAAAy too much effort being considerate and gentle with some of the off-the-wall lazy and ill-conceived questions that get posted. It would never dawn on me to sling up the embarrassing deplorable slop I see all too often on this forum from fellas who apparently can't carry a thought further than what their two thumbs can type in 45 seconds or less.

How do we get the message across without just pissing off a bunch of spoilted little brats and scaring them away? Remember, they're really kinda handicapped having to grow up in schools that don't teach spelling or penmanship or grammar or even basic social interaction skills anymore. I feel kinda sorry for them ----kinda.

If we all just replied "Do a Search first." to every post that deserved it, then the server would probably live 5 years longer before choking and dying again (or being murdered, whatever happened IDK). But, that just does not seem as goal-oriented as I'd like to end up with.

If server capacity really is a factor then perhaps undeserving wasteful threads could get locked early on with an explanation that prompts the OP into a little more responsible respectful and less careless sloppy future posting. Maybe include a MOD sigline with some heartfelt warm motivational motto and AV of a dish MILF to keep energies moving the right direction and the "pissed off" factor down to a minimum. Just some errant thoughts.

Oh yah, discuss. ;)

ps-FTR Joel, that there stickie idea is great. I've had my 2 rigs for over a decade and I still learn good stuff all the time from the info included there.

·
Super Moderator
8,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have debated asking HACK if, on a slow night, I can go in and delete all of the month-old or older zero-value-add threads from the technical sections I moderate...

·
Registered
785 Posts
the stickies are awesome. i try and search thru them (the stickies) the best i can for any answers or help, before i ask. but the search function... cant stand it. i guess im just a noob but i can never find what im looking for thru the search. either im using the wrong terms or if something does pop up its pre crash.

maybe all the empty, cant help anyone threads should be dealt with to help us newbs out while searching. just a thought

·
Registered
8,569 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The problem is that choosing good search parameters is easy for some people, and difficult for others. Experienced members who make nasty comments to people just they can't figure out the correct keywords for a search bring down the tone of the forum.

I'm pretty good at book learning, and at collecting and sorting information. I'm not such a good mechanic, and I ask for help with the car. So I try to cut people slack if they ask me for help in something I'm good at.

I guess I could write a FAQ. But what would I put in it? There is already the Qalo'ss Handbook, Lance's Go Fast Basics, the Header thread, the Cold Air Induction thread, the parts list, and the technical articles at The Herd.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
There's no magic cure for youth, and everyone has to live through it to eventually become embittered crusty ol' know-it-all farts, - like some us is. cwm1

That said, how's about we figure out a pro-active way to nudge yung-uns into pretending just a little less ADHDDTD and impatience, and instead placing a little more attention on learning the incredible rewards of a little search first. I see a lot a guys here (and me only sporatically) taking WAAAAy too much effort being considerate and gentle with some of the off-the-wall lazy and ill-conceived questions that get posted. It would never dawn on me to sling up the embarrassing deplorable slop I see all too often on this forum from fellas who apparently can't carry a thought further than what their two thumbs can type in 45 seconds or less.

How do we get the message across without just pissing off a bunch of spoilted little brats and scaring them away? Remember, they're really kinda handicapped having to grow up in schools that don't teach spelling or penmanship or grammer or even basic social interaction skills anymore. I feel kinda sorry for them ----kinda.

If we all just replied "Do a Search first." to every post that deserved it, then the server would probably live 5 years longer before choking and dying again (or being murdered, whatever happened IDK). But, that just does not seem as goal-oriented as I'd like to end up with.

If server capacity really is a factor then perhaps undeserving wasteful threads could get locked early on with an explanation that prompts the OP into a little more responsible respectful and less careless sloppy future posting. Maybe include a MOD sigline with some heartfelt warm motivational motto and AV of a dish MILF to keep energies moving the right direction and the "pissed off" factor down to a minimum. Just some errant thoughts.

Oh yah, discuss. ;)

ps-FTR Joel, that there stickie idea is great. I've had my 2 rigs for over a decade and I still learn good stuff all the time from the info included there.
I feel sorry for them, and us, in equal measure. They - and we - waste time and energy on something that could be SO simple, easy, and direct.
If the question is, ahem, 'Frequently Asked', then we need to create an FAQ (quite possibly the last B/D- body FAQ).

That way, anytime someone asks a question to which we already know both the answer, and where to find it, instead of encouraging the newb to ask more stupid questions, and/or fly off the keyboard with the attitude that is the prime catalyst of our embittered attitudes, we can encourage them to READ.

If we have one stock answer to give for however many Frequently Asked Questions, it cuts down on our 'workload and aggravation', and they learn we don't exist to fetch answers for them at their beck and call.

The other benefit is that we - and they - seriously reduce forum pollution and waste.

We've reached the point where it's perfectly reasonable to say,
The front cover of the B- & D- body Compendium said:
"Nearly two decades of trials and errors have been reviewed and gathered for your convenience. You'll probably find the answer here. If your question isn't in here, read it anyway. If you don't figure out the answer after reading this, congratulations! You might actually wind up helping to ADD something to the B & D - body Compendium!
The alternative is more redundant posts - even if those posts consist of nothing except the link which answer the question ... though such short and curt answers would at least point in the right direction, and discourage their used douchenozzle responses.

The only thing more annoying to those who already know the answer, than answering yet again, is dragging the idiot the long way to that answer.

Speaking of redundant threads, some subforums, by their nature, have threads that, for lack of a better word, expire - like, say, the 'For Sale/Wanted' or 'Sig Test' subforums. Do they all still need to be there?

Before I go on, lemme say, the stickies are awesome! They're worthy collections of info, right up there with the sources Nick Danger cited.

Sometimes when I look at Lance's Go Fast Basics, I think that it needs to be broken up and redistributed to the proper sections. Just a thought.

Nick, I 'see' your FAQs, and 'raise' you ...

Rob Cheek's original Impala SS FAQ

and

IGBA's B-body.net (I've no idea where this is actively stored, this is an archive)

What needs to happen is that all the tech info that's spread around all over the ISSF, NAISSO, and all these other places, needs to be collected, safeguarded (who knows how long web.archive.org will keep its archives?)

(I also have a habit of deleting and condensing my posts)

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Just wanted to say Thank you for the work you have done.

The search feature could use some help too. I've been to what looks like other v bulletin forums and there is no 3 letter too small crap when you do a search.

Here's another great video.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/188612

We do need a newbie section/faq listing around here and a minimum post count for the For Sale section.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
The problem is that choosing good search parameters is easy for some people, and difficult for others. Experienced members who make nasty comments to people just they can't figure out the correct keywords for a search bring down the tone of the forum.

I'm pretty good at book learning, and at collecting and sorting information. I'm not such a good mechanic, and I ask for help with the car. So I try to cut people slack if they ask me for help in something I'm good at.

(EDIT)......
Nick, it ain't difficult to search. A person just has to want to. I will admit it can't be done from a cellphone though. It's pretty apparent which threads are started from texting. It's horrible to admit it, but the people having to read jibberish posts are just as human as those doing the posting. Nasty comments are inevitable when the poster displays obvious disrespect for the reader using careless and sloppy communication. I genuinely wonder if they realize the rules are different between thumbing their friends and posting.

I should point out the irony that those with the most experience and knowledge of these cars (some even older than me) are 'handicapped' from growing up in the not-too-distant-past when it was not a presumed obligation to instantly appease everyone else's wants.

Aside from walking barefoot 3 miles uphill both ways to school ;), when I was young and my car was down I got to ride my bike 1/2 an hour to the library to hopefully find the right FSM to read or copy a page from. My fear with "cutting slack" for clearly lazy communication is it just reinforces that behavior. If I thought just ignoring sloppy posts was the solution then I'd do it. However, crap posting wastes many reader's time and clogs up the forum.

cliffs: So, if it takes me longer to interpret a post than I think it took to type it then adios for me. Sorry, that's the rules. If it does strike my fancy from that point to reply then it's up to the maturity of the poster to decide whether he wants to take the mild tweaking I might offer for him to improve his communication skills that I include with my advice.

I'm still looking for a way to assure productive improvement more automatically -- so I don't have to keep ranting about it. ;)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Nick, it ain't difficult to search. A person just has to want to. I will admit it can't be done from a cellphone though. It's pretty apparent which threads are started from texting. It's horrible to admit it, but the people having to read jibberish posts are just as human as those doing the posting. Nasty comments are inevitable when the poster displays obvious disrespect for the reader using careless and sloppy communication. I genuinely wonder if they realize the rules are different between thumbing their friends and posting.

I should point out the irony that those with the most experience and knowledge of these cars (some even older than me) are 'handicapped' from growing up in the not-too-distant-past when it was not a presumed obligation to instantly appease everyone else's wants.

Aside from walking barefoot 3 miles uphill both ways to school ;), when I was young and my car was down I got to ride my bike 1/2 an hour to the library to hopefully find the right FSM to read or copy a page from. My fear with "cutting slack" for clearly lazy communication is it just reinforces that behavior. If I thought just ignoring sloppy posts was the solution then I'd do it. However, crap posting wastes many reader's time and clogs up the forum.

cliffs: So, if it takes me longer to interpret a post than I think it took to type it then adios for me. Sorry, that's the rules. If it does strike my fancy from that point to reply then it's up to the maturity of the poster to decide whether he wants to take the mild tweaking I might offer for him to improve his communication skills that I include with my advice.

I'm still looking for a way to assure productive improvement more automatically -- so I don't have to keep ranting about it. ;)
Now we're talking about two different things. I work with some pretty good mechanics who haven't mastered Google and Ebay. It's a certain way of thinking that I honed back in the card catalogue days.

A lot of Americans were given a diploma, a handshake, and a tassel without ever having been taught how to string words into a sentence. I try to cut them slack too, although there's a gray area between them and the next group. I go by attitude.

Finally there are those who expect everyone else to adapt to their style, solve their problems, and smile while doing it. Lots of people who will do that for you, and they all charge lots of money for the service. These posters expect the forum to do it for free. Screw them.

My point is that, just because a poster isn't good at abstract thought, or was cheated by his childhood school, that isn't sufficient reason to attack him.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
My point is that, just because a poster isn't good at abstract thought, or was cheated by his childhood school, that isn't sufficient reason to attack him.
I agree with you wholeheartedly.

The answer they deserve, when you factor in who is asking, and who they are asking, is a link to something - an FAQ, a stickythread, something along those lines. Something that makes them do at least some of the work we've already done, if reasonably possible?

The above assumes that their sig describes their car adequately. That should be in the forum rules ...

Rule #X: Year, make, model, package variant, engine, mods ... or answers will be harder to come by.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
i just wanted to not that in the coolant temp sensor it was described where it is located but the pics didnt help becaused 1 pic was on a f body and the other is for the sensor for the pcm. i can get a pic if needed of the one for the gauge

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Cutting down the minimum character limit would also help with searching.

cai
LSx
t56
OTA

You get the idea :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts