Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see spherical bearings on either the upper or lower arms. IMHO if they are stiff enough not to twist, I bet these arms would bind as the suspension moves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But is anyone but GW working on a solution to that? These look pretty good I might look into rubber bushings on the uppers to help avoid the bind though I am sure it would be hard on the rubber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by 96capriceMGR:
But is anyone but GW working on a solution to that?
That's why I bought GW. When I was in the market they were the only company addressing it. It's my understanding that it is a bigger issue with aftermarket uppers, so I left my uppers stock. I'd be concerned about binding with the uppers shown in that photo. Just MHO.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah that is exactly where I was going. Stock uppers are flimsy enough to flex and allow some rotation, not ideal but better than bind, if you work them hard regular inspection would be a good idea. The comment about rubber in aftermarket arms was sort of a way to find middle ground as an immediate "solution" allowing the clearly stronger aftermart pieces some rotation through the rubbers softness.
Also glad to see Rustic working on it, he seems to really go the extra mile and develope top of the line products.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i could really use some new rear control arms. i'm on a tight budget though so the 600 for rustics new ones (when they come out) will be a little too much. i hear both good and bad about the GW's and the BMR's and they are again a little expensive so i figured i'd just go with the hothchiss arms but for 300 i think i'll have to try these

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Members,

Let me introduce myself as Ryan, owner of UMI Performance. I was sent a link to your site by a customer of mine to check it out since we are currently starting to produce some B-Body components. Its a very nice site.

Just to give you a heads up, the current upper and lower control arms we produce with polyurethane bushings are recommended for track use and a daily driver. We will be offering these items shortly with spherical bearings to prevent bind as well as add adjustabiliy when handling is concern. We also hope to offer these in extended length to help center the wheel in the wheel wells.

Any questions I am glad to help.

Thank you,
Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello,

Thanks for the welcome

Trust me I completely understand and know that, I spend thousands sponsoring many online Forums so I know the rules

I am not here to promote my product or push it, that wasn't my intentions. Basically just to stop in and introduce myself, get a feel for the site and possibly sponsor it in the near future. I didn't think my post was to mean that and if a moderator feels it does please PM or e-mail me.

Thanks again!
Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ryan - Welcome to the forum. I just want to say that I appreciate you and your company offerring aftermarket performance parts for our cars. Thanks for stepping up to the bar!

Originally posted by UMI Performance:
We will be offering these items shortly with spherical bearings to prevent bind as well as add adjustabiliy when handling is concern.
That's great news!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bump

Well, again - has anyone here used these on their car?

I've got a set of Hotchkis swaybars, but I won't mount the rear one before I have some beefier LCAs. Yes, I am fully aware of the binding issue with the (too stiff) poly bushings, but still like these better than the BMR's just by looks, and the larger bushings. For the intended driving with the car, and keeping the stock UCAs and rubber bushings, I have no problem with using these arms - I just don't want the swaybars to rip through the weak stock LCAs.

I just want to know if they met your expectations for "strength" and finish, given their low price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha, and you'll pay shipping for those heavy steel bars over the pond afterwards? :D Dream on...

Looks like I have to be a guineapig again!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just recieved a set of stock length lower arms in black, and they look great up close. They are very similar to the Hotchkis ones, just at a much better price! They weigh similar too, beefy arms indeed. Worth every penny.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LCA’s with spherical bearings

My Question:
I saw that your company, UMI, might produce a lower control arm for B-body vehicles with spherical bearings. I'm interested in a set of stock lowers, non-adjustable, for my wagon. I'm not in any hurry but when you get these could you let me know when they will be available and what they will sell for?

Response:
We do hope to produce these soon. If you could, please keep check our web site from time to time. We update it constantly and will post as soon as they are available. You can also e-mail me back in about a month.

Thanks for the interest!
Ryan
www.umiperformance.com

Should we see if we can get a GP going???????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hope that these rear lower control arms can support Herb Adams Sway bars because that's what I'll be getting them for.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.