Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

So the title says it. I let a friend drive it and he ended up using it to uproot a mesquite tree. Needless to say he won't be driving any of my vehicles again.

The Damage:
Bent radiator support (may be able to be straightened)
Destroyed hood
Broken hood latch cable
Destroyed Grill (Painted a week ago :(. It looked good)
Broken windshield
Bent driver side door (can be straightened)
Destroyed bumper
Destroyed bumper cover
Bent tire well (may be able to be straightened)
Destroyed radiator fans
Destroyed headlight housing
Destroyed corner light housing

That is all I can come up with off the top of my head. Some see this as a huge disappointment and I agree though it is just that much more motivation to get a transmission for my '95. As for the '92 though, the frame is still straight and nothing serious is broken. Even the radiator and condensor is still good (I have no idea how they survived). In fact the car still starts and drives but due to the fact the hood will no longer close and I have no radiator fans it will have to be towed around a bit. My plans for it is I'm going to go to my local wrecking yard and try to buy one of the cars down there that has had the rear end cut off. Hopefully I can get it for only a few hundred. This obviously may take a while as I'm in the middle of a job change, have no vehicle to drive, and still recovering from the holidays, but one thing is for sure. I'm not going to be like most people and just junk it. It has too much sentimental value to just be junked. It also makes for a really good project and a car to learn on. On that point, expect updates and also, more pics to come.

Edit:
For some reason the airbag didn't deploy but the light did come on. If i'm not mistaken the sensor is suppose to be mounted underneath the spot the hood spring rest on. For some reason mine doesn't have this sensor there and I can't even find any wires that might have gone to it. Is this maybe something that could have been removed by the factory as it was originally owned by a school district?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
I am sure the mesquite tree jumped out in front of him while he was driving down the middle of the road.

So much for friends. Didn't your mama tell you not to lend your car to anybody? I do not even like my mechanic driving my cars.

A front clip minus the right fender should fix everything. Now would be the time to install the fans from a 93 FW. They bolt right up, and all you have to do is install some sensors and relays (relays also found in the 93 FW). You should be able to put it back in shape in a weekend. Your friend should be required to do a lot, or most, of the work to regain his status with you.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Is there an engine under all that dirt and dust? WOW clean that out too while your at it..

LOL...... I don't even let family drive my vehicles..not a good mix

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Is there an engine under all that dirt and dust? WOW clean that out too while your at it...
Regret what happen, but DAMN! When I first saw the pic, I thought I was looking at what happens to a motor when someone discharges a fire extinguisher all over it!

+1 on the front clip repair. All that stuff just bolts on.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Regret what happen, but DAMN! When I first saw the pic, I thought I was looking at what happens to a motor when someone discharges a fire extinguisher all over it!

+1 on the front clip repair. All that stuff just bolts on.

OH, darn sorry then to the owner of the car... I didn't think of a fire ext. I was thinking he lived in AZ and with all the dust storms out there it was dust.

The car can be repaired be glad no one got major injuries.

Good luck on the repairs

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd make his insurance pay for it, and you can refuse to allow them to total it...

Later,
Tom Slick

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I'd make his insurance pay for it, and you can refuse to allow them to total it...

Later,
Tom Slick
It doesn't work like that. Insurance flows with the car, not the driver. If you let someone use your car, the insurance on the car is primary. You could sue the driver in Sm Claims Ct. Collecting a judgement from someone with no money is difficult though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Time for a little update I suppose. I spent about 20 hours on it on Monday pulling the front end apart and trying to straighten everything out the best I could and keep it street legal. It still looks bad but it's street legal (besides the windshield) and everything is still firmly attached. For now I just have to get a replacement windshield and I'll be good to go till I get some money together.

I'm not going to do anything with the insurance or make him pay anything. I'm not even mad at him for it. The reason im not is because we were out in the dessert being stupid from the start, hauling a%$ down dirt roads and doing doughnuts in every clearing we came across. He then asked me if he could drive and I let him. We were doing a doughnut and he over steered and instead of correcting he panicked and stomped the brakes. That is the reason he won't drive my vehicles again because I know how he'll react in an emergency situation like that.

As for repairing the car, yes I realize that a front clip is all I need but I want to buy the entire car at the junk yard because I can use it as a parts car. It still has most of its parts and is in relatively good condition minus the transmission and that from the bottom of the rear window back is completely gone.

Is there an engine under all that dirt and dust? WOW clean that out too while your at it.
I know its dirty in the pic but I usually keep my engine bay somewhat clean. All the dirt you see there is just from that same night.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also Fred, I would like to do a fan conversion from a FW but as far as I can tell the only FW within 100 miles from me is still driving around town. I did have a set of electrics that were attached with the pull tie through radiator method. It was only temporary that way though. I was making a shroud for them but that is now been put on hold. they were operated by a set of relays controlled by the ignition on/off circuit and a switch for the secondary while I waited to save for a set of temp. sensors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts