Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 94 FWB has recently started blowing its horn at random intervals - sometimes when the steering wheel is turned, sometimes when the car goes over a bump, sometimes when the wheel rim is bumped and sometimes when the car is stationary and nothing has been touched. Smacking the airbag seems to stop it, usually. I seem to recall this being a common GM problem but I don't recall how to fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
I had an '80 Riv that took to full-on blowing at 3 in the mornings one Fall when the weather turned crisper. It took a while [before internet] to find it was common issue from contracting bi-metal contact sheets in the cold combined with the thin perforated foam separating them that decayed and shrank to nothing over time.

I can't believe it if they might have kept that same chintzy design 15 years later. I have to admit I've never heard that problem with our cars though since joining the forum.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
There are a few different horn button designs in the B and D body cars. I am not sure which one is in the FW. They all seem to have issues. Some are easier to repair than others. You will be digging into the airbag to fix them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts