Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replacing fuel sending unit, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump relay, I am still chasing down this electrical issue.

I can get it to run every so ofter for about 5 seconds

When it does not start I do not have spark

I unplugged and replugged every connector under the hood I could find and still no change

I have an appointment at a local shop Wednesday but would love to solve this before that happens. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
No spark - BINGO. You have an ignition problem not a fuel problem if it holds 40 psi.
Start by replacing the coil and ignition module (ICM) as they are easiest.
If problem persists, replace the distributor (opti).

Nab

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
This is just a continuation of the same issue(s) from your other thread. IDGet it. The history and continuity there can only help chase down your problem. If you're asking for just electrical suggestions here, then without going back to that other thread it'll be important to know what electrical diagnosis you've tried so far. As mentioned above the IC, ICM and opti (and grounds) are instant targets.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, we can add Ignition Coil, and Ignition Coil Module to the list. Just changed those out and same situation.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ANNNNDDDDD......It was the Opti!

Thanks for all the help everyone, shes back on the road!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No visual signs of the opti being bad. Just didnt work. Put a new one on and it worked. Changed the harness at the same time too. But the old harness looked fine though.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Autozone opti is ok.
Hopefully you took the cap off and thread locked the rotor screws ;)

Nab

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
Aaaaaannd made sure BOTH body seals are actually included - and installed carefully. Even better with some di-electric grease or pool silicone.

Aaaaand there was an issue with thin flimsey caps getting sucked in if a clogged vent, and then grinding the rotor off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts