Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
We're getting into the warmer weather down here in Texas, and having the A/C on is now a daily occurance, and it got me thinking about the fan control.

I've also got a '98 Tahoe which has a very similar layout of the HVAC section, but with the fan speed selector having 4-positions.

It's one thing that has always bugged me about our cars, is the lame 3-speed setting. Going from MAX to #2 is a BIG jump, and there should be more air moving IMHO.

So that leads to the question of this post, has anyone ever changed the HVAC controls from stock, to some other vehicle with a 4-speed fan control?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hey Guys,
We're getting into the warmer weather down here in Texas, and having the A/C on is now a daily occurance, and it got me thinking about the fan control.
I've also got a '98 Tahoe which has a very similar layout of the HVAC section, but with the fan speed selector having 4-positions.
It's one thing that has always bugged me about our cars, is the lame 3-speed setting. Going from MAX to #2 is a BIG jump, and there should be more air moving IMHO.
So that leads to the question of this post, has anyone ever changed the HVAC controls from stock, to some other vehicle with a 4-speed fan control?
Thanks!
1st, to answer your query, no I have not.
2nd, we already have a 4spd fan.
B Carline Service Manual said:
Blower Motor Speed Control
With the ignition switch in the "RUN" position, the blower motor assembly runs in all mode control positions, except "OFF".
Blower motor assembly speed is controlled by a four-position electrical blower motor speed control switch at the left side of the control assembly.
The blower motor speed control switch provides a choice of a low blower motor speed, two medium speeds, and a high speed.
Technically, that makes "OFF" the 5th choice.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay, I guess I'm partially losing it, as I musta been thinking about my older vehicles with the 3-speed fan control when I wrote this.

You're right, and I know, that the speed is controlled by the resistor assembly.

I'd really like to modify that, to have greater fan speed, and that should have been my question, not the HVAC controls itself.

Wondering if anyone has played around with swapping resistors out?

Wel lnow I just looked on RockAuto at the images for both vehicles, and it looks like the receptacle is the same. I may do some tinkering around and see if the Tahoe will work with the Caprice...

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
If your fan motor doesn't blow to your satisfaction and is original,
replace it with a new one and I'll bet you'll feel an improvement ;)

Nab

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your fan motor doesn't blow to your satisfaction and is original,
replace it with a new one and I'll bet you'll feel an improvement ;)

Nab
No that's not it. However, I have replaced it with a donor from Scott William's 9C1.

It's just that there's a drastic reduction in speed from MAX to the 3rd setting. I'd like to have more air moving thru the cabin is basically what this boils down to.

I'm going to try the Tahoe blower motor resistor pack, and see how that works tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts