Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you remove the front upper control arm? I have disconected the ball joint and the two nuts on the chamber? but i don't seem to have enough room to slide the arm out(on passenger side). Do the two chamber bolts come of? And looking at the drivers side do i have to disconect the steering thing? My car manual isnt much help. Please e-mail directly as my car is on jackstands at this time.
Thank You
Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
did you do the 2 bolts on the "bar" facing the engine? there should/might be some shims for alignment ajustments.

the "bar" that goes thru the bushings has 2 nuts on the end (radiator and firewall side). if you undo those you can't get it off 'cause the bushings will hold it in and need to be pressed out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i removed the nuts and shims on the "bar" facing the engine but cant seem to be able break the actual bolts loose..i dont know if i should be able to or not..if i can then everything will come of without a problem i just dont whant to break something.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the bolts are really studs and will stay on the frame. bang the control arm w/ a hammer and block of wood by the ball joint toward the motor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just to update, i was able to get both upper control arms out. On the passengers side i was able to move the steel lines to get the extra room i needed and on the drivers side i had to remove part of the steering linkage.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Tony! Thank your lucky stars you live in Arizona, NO ROAD SALT!!! I had to us a sawsall to cut through the studs cause they were rusted solid to the cross shafts! Holly crap what a job that was.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
klauSS,
That is one of my worries every time i work on my car because the original owner lived in Ohio for a couple of years before bringing the car back to Arizona. There is some rust but thankfully not enough to have caused any problems.(yet)
Im finally back on the road! I had an alignment shop press the bushings and lower ball joints for $40 and $43 for an alignment. Ive only driven the car a few miles and the difference is night and day!
:D And i still need to get some real tires.
Tony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.