Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot figure out why this area is leaking so bad, I replaced the hose and clamped that bad boy down tight and it's still leaking like crazy...

·
Registered
981 Posts
Was it leaking before you replaced the hose? If it wasn't, you might have a bad new hose.

Did you notice much build-up on the water pump fitting that might keep the hose from cinching down tight with the clamp?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was it leaking before you replaced the hose? If it wasn't, you might have a bad new hose.

Did you notice much build-up on the water pump fitting that might keep the hose from cinching down tight with the clamp?
it's doing the same thing the other hose was doing, I have it clamped down real tight to...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking the rebuilt WP I got from autozone has a fracture or a crack in the lip that the hose goes over and its leaking from there.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'm thinking the rebuilt WP I got from autozone has a fracture or a crack in the lip that the hose goes over and its leaking from there.
Start the engine, open the hood, increase RPM manually to some 4000 and watch for leaks.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'd throw some high temp thread sealer around that WP bolt.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
it's doing the same thing the other hose was doing, I have it clamped down real tight to...
Are you clamping too much? There is a great tendency to overtighten things. The original spring type clamps used on most models have very little force and they don't leak when everything else is right. Too much force will cut into the hose..........your photo looks too tight to me. Do you have the correct smooth clamps required for the green hoses?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you clamping too much? There is a great tendency to overtighten things. The original spring type clamps used on most models have very little force and they don't leak when everything else is right. Too much force will cut into the hose..........your photo looks too tight to me. Do you have the correct smooth clamps required for the green hoses?
it's the clamps that came with the car, I have no idea.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
I noticed on the one reman I had the nipple must have not been big enough or it wasn't sealing at the press fit, but I always had a leak there (tiny), no matter the hose, or clamp. Went to a new Duralast Pump, and leak gone.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'm pretty sure that WP bolt requires sealant on the threads.

I have had the 'nipple' that the hose clamps onto loosen up and leak, they're are just pressed in and it usually only happens on the smaller ones.
Two in a row, the big ones, I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
I'm gonna go with what has already been mentioned, You need to pull that bolt and put some thread sealer on it. My 9c1 did that right after I changed the water pump. I did put sealer, but obviously not enough or not in the right spot. Based on one of your replies, it sounds like you recently replaced your W/P. SEAL THAT BOLT!

Sean

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
me 2

I'm having the same problem and its not leaking from the bolt on mine but from the hose above. (Bolts were sealed) I swapped out the clamp and replaced it with the clamp you have thinking I was doing myself a favor... I think I just shot my self in the foot though. I believe the leak is caused from over tightening and cutting of the hose.

I'm going to undo my clamp here in a bit when my car cools off and see if I can feel any cracks. I'll probably move the clamp up closer to the water pump and not put a death grip on it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm having the same problem and its not leaking from the bolt on mine but from the hose above. (Bolts were sealed) I swapped out the clamp and replaced it with the clamp you have thinking I was doing myself a favor... I think I just shot my self in the foot though. I believe the leak is caused from over tightening and cutting of the hose.

I'm going to undo my clamp here in a bit when my car cools off and see if I can feel any cracks. I'll probably move the clamp up closer to the water pump and not put a death grip on it.
it's not the hose, i replaced my hose and it still does it, the WP is leaking from that area

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
it's not the hose, i replaced my hose and it still does it, the WP is leaking from that area
For you it was your WP. For me it was the Hose. The water pump was recently replaced and I ran the car and watched it slowly leak from the hose. Even clean up the leak and and put a paper towel to the hose and watched it get wet. I moved the clamp back further on the hose and so far no leak.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For you it was your WP. For me it was the Hose. The water pump was recently replaced and I ran the car and watched it slowly leak from the hose. Even clean up the leak and and put a paper towel to the hose and watched it get wet. I moved the clamp back further on the hose and so far no leak.
The funny thing is I just replaced my WP like a month ago, my current one is a rebuilt one from autozone and it leaks... I'm about to go return the broke ass WP and complain.

·
Registered
540 Posts
You absolutely need to put thread sealant on the bolts or it will leak. I had that exact same leak because I didn't either. Water will crawl along the threads and out from under the bolt head, the wp gaskets do not seal the bolt.

Also make sure the hose attachment is very clean, any casting flash or dirt will make it not seal up.

Also replace waterpump drive seal if you haven't because that will leak even if it was bone dry before. Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You absolutely need to put thread sealant on the bolts or it will leak. I had that exact same leak because I didn't either. Water will crawl along the threads and out from under the bolt head, the wp gaskets do not seal the bolt.

Also make sure the hose attachment is very clean, any casting flash or dirt will make it not seal up.

Also replace waterpump drive seal if you haven't because that will leak even if it was bone dry before. Ask me how I know...
What exactly is the drive seal, I'm new I'm new!

·
Registered
540 Posts
It's an oil seal in the front cover, around the waterpump drive shaft. It will leak (badly) if you do not replace it when you change the waterpump. Mine looked dry so I didn't replace it, it leaked oil within minutes of starting the engine again so i got to pull everything apart again.

If you do a search for 'waterpump drive seal" you will find a lot of info.
This is the one you need: http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=10217886

1 - 20 of 25 Posts