Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add a Power Steering cooler to my 96SS but most of the after market items seem to just attach to the radiator with plastic ties. Has anybody tried using the 9C1 oil cooler for this purpose. NAISSO shows a kit and it has bracket and would bolt in front of the radiator. BTW which PS line do you cut to splice in the cooler? Will hose clamps work or do I need to have fitting made?

Allen
96SS IDXLR8

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Why not just use the power steering cooler that the 9C1 uses? It mounts on the frame rail.
Dal can fix you up with the parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Why not just use the power steering cooler that the 9C1 uses?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because I can tell you, from experience, that it doesn't do jack crap

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 9C1 power steering cooler is just an extension of a line, it is useless.

I still haven't gotten around to converting mine over.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gee I think I got cheated - no fins on my two 9c1 PS coolers. Even in stock non-law enforcement use the PS system is marginal. Any agressive driving requires a lot more cooling than even the 9c1 arangement. IMHO
Keep us posted on the engine oil cooler ideas - it might be the solution.
Terry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are no fins on the 9C1 "cooler"....it is simply a looped metal line! That's it!

Like I said, it doesn't do jack crap

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 9C1 cooler DOES work, or GM would have put something different on the car--or nothing. The question is, if it works, what was its purpose and what does it REALLY do? Well, how about passing the police car tests? We already know it just doesn't work very well when pushed beyond a certain point.

GM created a problem for itself with the LT1 package, at least in the B-body configuration (I'm not familiar with the F-body) since the pump is right up against the engine, and both the pump and remote reservoir are out of the airstream. Heat is a real problem, as many of us have learned, and as clealry GM recognized with the inclusion of the "cooler" on the SEO package.

GM only had to be concerned about vehicles that were likely to be operating in the profile that would present a problem. The Impala might have seemed to logically qualify, too, but the marketing wizards didn't expect/anticipate/realize who would buy this car and how it would be used. GM probably said the cost of not putting the cooler on and dealing with the "few" steering failures under warranty would be less than putting coolers on all Impalas. We'll never know, but in the meantime, quite a few people have discovered ways to help the system survive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.