Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '94 Caprice wagon with the open carrier and 2.56 ring gear. My original plan was to upgrade the gears, bearings and carrier. I can get the complete G80 rear end with the better ratio for around $400. A new carrier alone would be $550 or so. I could either throw the used rear in as is, or put gears in it on the bench while I enjoy the wagon and swap it out quickly when it's done.

Its kind of a wash from a money standpoint. If I can sell the original rear end, I'd be able to recoup some money, but who wants an open rear end.

Anyway, what do you think?

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
It's only worth it if the new housing needs nothing. Once you start replacing bearings ,carriers ,gears ,axles ,etc.... You may as well do the same with your housing ,and have all new components.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I've got a '94 Caprice wagon with the open carrier and 2.56 ring gear.
Not enough people understand what I mean when I say, you basically have a 3speed.
My original plan was to upgrade the gears, bearings and carrier.
I can get the complete G80 rear end with the better ratio for around $400. A new carrier alone would be $550 or so. I could either throw the used rear in as is, or put gears in it on the bench while I enjoy the wagon and swap it out quickly when it's done.

Its kind of a wash from a money standpoint. If I can sell the original rear end, I'd be able to recoup some money, but who wants an open rear end.

Anyway, what do you think?
If the better ratio in the $4oo axle you're thinking of buying is less than 3.42 MINIMUM, it is not worth it.
That also factors into selling your used 2.56 - only people who prioritize exceeding 500 miles per tank consider 2.56 an upgrade.

I also pretty much completely agree with 1slow96.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Too bad you're not local.
I have 2 axle assemblies
One stock 2.93? and another rebuilt 3.73.
I'd sell either and take yours keep my wreck a roller.

I agree with what's already been said.
With the addition that a stocker for $400 is way too much imho unless it's fresh.
Even local yards around here an axle is only ~250.

Regear whatcha got or wait for a better one to appear.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Not much of an upgrade but it would be cheap and should drop in your rear. I have the factory posi and gears (3.08 iirc) sitting in a box.

Let me know if interested.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Babywag's 3.73 sounds pretty sweet, unless you do LOTS of highway driving.

Reactions: KW Baraka

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Not sure where folks get the idea that 3.73's are poorly suited for the highway.
I've had 3.73's for over 20 years ,and take trips of varied lengths every summer. Believe at 60 mph. it amounts to 300 rpm more than the 3.08's... Travelled 950 miles to New Orleans
in 2016 for our national event. Then drove across Texas ,and N.Mex.to Arizona. Spent a week ,or two before driving 1500 miles back home. Probably 75-85mph. 10 hours a day for at least two weeks.... It wasn't a big deal. And ,that was with (short) 275/40-17 tires.... Probably did the motor some good actually...

·
Registered
981 Posts
3.73 was awesome in my wagon even cruising 80 rpm wasn't too bad.
soooo glad i listened to folks on here and did not do 3.42!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Makes sense. If I stick with my rear end, I can pick the posi design I want instead of going with the factory unit. I'd be throwing a set of gears in the other rear end anyway. 3.42 is the ratio I'd like. My last project was a Chevelle with a 350 THM. Nice to already have an overdrive trans to help with the highway revs.

·
Registered
11,344 Posts
I put a 3.42 with True Trac in my diff. I also put all new bearings, races, and axles. The total was about $1000. I used Moser axles, and they are about the same price as Chinese, or Indian made, and are made in the US. You need specific bearings for the True Trac. Use a 0.038 shim on the pinion for a good height. You can go up to a 0.042 and still have a good pinion height. The OEM shim is probably an 0.036. Lash by the FSM. Eaton and Yukon make rebuildable clutch posis if the True Trac is a little expensive for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts