Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted to go with the T56, but I waste too much money to ever save up for one. I found one in Wake Forest with 60,xxx miles on it...but it doesn't have a bellhousing... Is it worth the $500 he's asking for it?

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Sure, but anyone can tell you it has 60K on it, it is kindof a crap shoot, but not a bad core price if something is wrong, bellhousings are getting harder to come by, but sometimes you can find them for cheap or there is always a custom setup. If I was close I would pick it up, just cause :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
T-56

I agree with Mike, it will just depend. I picked up a used T-56 with 138K on it. At the time it seemed to be a good deal. Right before I was ready to put the trans in the car, I thought of how pissed I would be at myself if something was wrong with it and I would have to take it all apart again. Needless to say, I am glad that I sent it to D&D. It had some issues with 5th and 6th gear, along with the output shaft. To have the thing totally rebuilt, with all the upgrades, it ran about 1700. That is a lot, but now I have a built T-56 that looks brand new. So all in all, it will depend on how the Op took care of the trans, if in fact that is the original owner. For 500, you can't go wrong. A basic rebuild of the trans from D&D runs about 1200.

Like my father always says, do it right the first time and you will not have to do it again.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
60k mi...very low milage for a 94-96 T56...assumeing the seller is correct.

as mentioned buying used stuff is a crap shoot. if the seller can document milage and use...$500 is a good price....you may get lucky

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10-4. I'mma go take a look at it tomorrow sometime... WHERE would I get a bellhousing for it? And is there anyway to check for "obviously" ass'ed up stuff on it?

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Man I just picked some of those up for $150, and sold 'em for the same. Are they worth that much? These were OEM NIB that I thought were just regular headlamps.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man I just picked some of those up for $150, and sold 'em for the same. Are they worth that much? These were OEM NIB that I thought were just regular headlamps.
T56 6-speed transmission my dude....lol

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with Mike, it will just depend. I picked up a used T-56 with 138K on it. At the time it seemed to be a good deal. Right before I was ready to put the trans in the car, I thought of how pissed I would be at myself if something was wrong with it and I would have to take it all apart again. Needless to say, I am glad that I sent it to D&D. It had some issues with 5th and 6th gear, along with the output shaft. To have the thing totally rebuilt, with all the upgrades, it ran about 1700. That is a lot, but now I have a built T-56 that looks brand new. So all in all, it will depend on how the Op took care of the trans, if in fact that is the original owner. For 500, you can't go wrong. A basic rebuild of the trans from D&D runs about 1200.

Like my father always says, do it right the first time and you will not have to do it again.
Aye, if I do in fact decide to pick this one up, what else do I need to buy for the conversion?

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Check my manual that has been posted that will break it down for you. Since you are building a stroker motor and who knows what power it is going to make, I would recommend using the trans as a core and getting one with beefed up components, it may last for a bit but you never know. As far as bellhousing look on ebay and places like that, they come up ever so often, the only thing that I have seen screwed up on them is the mounting holes where the trans bolts up to the bellhousing, I have seen then stripped. Slave cylinder spacer is another thing pretty hard to come by these days as well.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check my manual that has been posted that will break it down for you. Since you are building a stroker motor and who knows what power it is going to make, I would recommend using the trans as a core and getting one with beefed up components, it may last for a bit but you never know. As far as bellhousing look on ebay and places like that, they come up ever so often, the only thing that I have seen screwed up on them is the mounting holes where the trans bolts up to the bellhousing, I have seen then stripped. Slave cylinder spacer is another thing pretty hard to come by these days as well.
Yeah, I saw that. I'm at work right now so I can't download it...but I will when I get home. Which thread has pics of the interior after the swap? I wanna see what it's gonna look like if I run with it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts