Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried the search button and only found a few topics about this but most are for 275/50, which most people agree are too big, sooo, what do yall think of 275/55/17 on rear of either the factory SS wheels or a 17x9.5 wheel I have in my garage. My front tires are worn on the inside due to what I think is bad shocks. So, my dilema is I can buy shocks, which I need, and use those tires I have in my garage, size 275/55 for the rear and bring the 255/50 to the front only until I can buy more 255/50's. Or, get new 255's all around and risk wearing them down until I can buy shocks. My car is my daily driver, I drive it all over for work and need to have good tires but Im BROKE!

:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
275/55 is 2" taller than 255/50 tires. It may affect the ABS and will affect the speedometer reading.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Your ABS will freak out with that big of a difference front to rear. Shouldn't affect stopping just the light will come on for it.
FWIW shocks don't usually cause tire wear issue that I have ever seen. Maybe on Ford radius arms would be the only thing that comes to mind that would have this problem, but bad shocks cause bounce, not alignment woes. It needs an alignment, you will prbably find that camber is way off, are the tires tipped in on the top towards the car? This would be a good indication of this.

Mike

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input, Ive decided on NO! I will just have to go with stock 255s and an alignment but I also do need shocks and maybe more front end work.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
2" taller than stock Impala tires but only a half inch taller than stock wagon tires. I'm going to get either these or 275/50's for the back of my wagon matched with 255/55-17's on the front to try to gain some ground clearance while keeping the low look.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I run the 275/50/17 on all 4 corners. No rubbing except on Lock to Lock turns. Which even rub when I have my buick wheels on for winter.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Perfect height for wagon. What wheel?

Polished Torque Thrust 2's. 17*8 front 17*9.5 rear. Right now I have 235/45 and 275/40 and they are tooooo short. What I really want is a set of Chrome Boss 338's in 20*8 and 20*10 but all my dollars already got spended.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
If there is any chance you will really need ABS, then don't do it. I once put tires on the front that were 2" shorter than the rear (25" 255/40R17 front & 27" 255/50R17 rear) and yes, the ABS did freak out. It had no problems with those switched front to back though.

I once put a set of 9C1 wheels on that had worn down 29" 235/75R15 all around. When I put shorter tires on the back for racing, again, it didn't have any problem. But when I went to replace the back 2 with the same size tire, there was rubbing. Then I put airbags in the rear coils cwm1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts