Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How rare is a 91-92 Caprice with a V6 in her? I did a search and it comes up with a "9c6" tag. Here's why I ask, my father living down in Florida has a elderly neighbor that has a BLACK CAPRICE with Grey Cloth Interior, 59,000 miles on the clock, spotless shape except for a dented drivers door and here's the kicker, it has a V6!!! I thought they all had at least a lo3 in them. Oh! by the way she wants $500 for the car. Let me know your thoughts and opinions.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
59,000 miles/$500.00...... and its not in your dads driveway yet ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm working on it! Like I said its an older person so these things take time, you can't rush them. From what I gather one-owner and they special ordered it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgive me if I'm wrong but 9C6 cars were Taxi Cabs?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know about the taxi "9C6" ,after doing another search maybe your right. All I know is this car has a V6 and it never was a taxi.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if indeed it has the v6 motor then it would be a damn super rare
it was part of the 9c6 - taxi package and it was some sort of a test run to see how things go I guess.
I have never heard of any person on this forum actually owning a factory v6 bubble car!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about you tell me where this car is at and Ill be more than happy to take a look at it :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should I look at the 8th digit in the vin for a "Z" [LB4 code], where is the spid for the caprice car?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Big-Low&Wide:
Should I look at the 8th digit in the vin for a "Z" [LB4 code], where is the spid for the caprice car?
OPEN the trunk, and look straight ahead at the SPID label

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How many Caprice taxi's were there with the V6?

MexSS, YOU VERRY CLOSE!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you don't want it, let me know. I will have my mother go pick it up. She's in FL...

Jason.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will update everyone on this when I get more info on the spid and Vin #.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only way to get a V6 in a '91-'93 Caprice was with the 9C6 (SEO Vehicle - Taxi Cab). Just to clue you in to how rare it is, I've only ever heard a confirmed report of 1 in existence, and it was in a junkyard. I had a '91 FSM, and it didn't have any coverage for the LB4, so it must have been a last minute addition. (There's full coverage for the L05, and it was a police-car only option at that time.) The 4.3L V6 was available in boxy Caprices from the mid-80's up.

I guess it is reasonable to assume that this proverbial old lady went to the Chevy dealer in the early '90's, and they sold her a 9C6 taxi with the ultra-scarce 4.3L V6 that was ordered but not accepted by a taxi company. Such things happened a lot with 9C1's when they were damaged during delivery, painted incorrectly, etc. If it is indeed an LG4-powered whale, BUY IT!! and take care of it, it's one hell of a find!!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Out of all the places to possibly find one, I'd believe that Florida would be the most likely as the Crooked Salemen down there would sell anything to their elderly Father's and Mother's, while laughing all the way to the bank
!!
You'd be suprised at how many "Special Palm Beach Edition" Buick Skylarks/SkyHawks/Park Aves/Lesabres I have seen cause the owner wasn't able to get ahold of the "Ultra Rare" "Palm Beach" Roadmaster :rolleyes:

Those snakes would happily sell one of the listed above at twice the mark up because of a cheap vinyl/canvus/leather half top, so a "Special Edition" V-6 Caprice for nice chunk of change wouldn't suprise me the least

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
See this thread:

http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000394#000000

EDIT:

Chris McCabe and I really did see, crawl over, and check the SPID on a v6 bubble Caprice 4.3 9C6 taxi in Holland's junkyard in Billerica MA a few years ago.

We had the hood open (it really was a v6... with a big setback from missing 2 cylinders), the SPID really had LB4 (4.3 v6) and 9C6 (taxi) and the VIN really had Z for the engine code.

The Michigan State police did tests of v6 TBI Caprices, but I think it was only on the brick Caprices and not on the whale models. The 91-93 brochures, on www.9c1.com only list the 305 and 350 v8s as options, no v6s listed.... so that further keeps the v6 as a taxi-only option.

Ed Sanow's book on Chevrolet Police Cars 1955-1996 has the MSP testing summaries. FWIW.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kdrolt ,I seen that thread too.

I just got off the phone with my dad and I asked him to get the vin#, so he calls me back and reads it to me and the eighth digit is a "E" [V8 305] but he swears its a V6. I asked him how he figured this out and he tells me he counted the wires per each side, he's no dummy when it comes to cars but he also said it was a little dark in her garage so the story continues...Now I have to call him back and have him look for the "LB4" spid! On the thread that -kdrolt- gave me the guy that had the one and only V6 9C6 was from New Jersey, this lady was originally from Mass. She told my dad that they had to wait 2-3 months after they ordered it sooooooo maybe.

the vin# tells me it's a ;
'91
BL [base car]
Willow Run Plant

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, if the 8th digit is E, its got to be a 305 car. However, $500 is still damn cheap for a low-mileage car like that. I say buy it if for no other reason than to resell.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's definitely a done deal, just a matter of transaction, I was just getting worked up about it being a one of a kind! Either my ol' man can't see for crap or the factory mismarked it,I don't know. Just a matter of time.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe for some stupid reason somebody swaped out the 8 for the 6. Wouldn't be the first ime I've seen somebody do that. :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Like I said...if its close I can go check it out and take pics
Dont worry about me trying to swipe it out from under you...I have 3 b-bodys already (used to have 4) and if I came home with another my wife would go ape shit

1 - 20 of 26 Posts