Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for these valve covers for my 96 LT1. Everyone's telling me they don't fit our cars, but attached is a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
.and here they are in chrome. Had to trim some off the alternator "ribs",and some just re-clock it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks :) Do you have a picture of the back of your alternator so I can see just how intense this would be?

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Never thought to take pictures. It wasn't difficult,doubt if it even took five minutes. Believe I used a Dremel tool,but a die-grinder would work also. After installing the covers,swing the alternator back where it goes,and see where the casting ribs need clearanced. It will be fairly obvious. Believe I also had a shop-vac going to suck up the shavings.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Researched around and a lot of people say it wouldn't be possible. Some years may be different from others? Is yours a 1996 impala too?

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Yea,mine's a 96. They're all the same,and clearly there's a pair of these covers on my car right now. But,if people tell you they won't fit. Then, maybe you shouldn't get them.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Looking for these valve covers for my 96 LT1. Everyone's telling me they don't fit our cars, but attached is a picture.
That is one SSweet engine bay!

(Oh... wait... it's mine... uh... yeah... it looks 'Okay'.)

:D

Yes, it's an LT1 in a '96 Imp (although what vehicle the motor is in has nothing to do with the fitment of the covers at the alternator). It's a simple job to clearance the fins the back of the alternator with a Dremel, etc. IIRC, I only had to radius one fin. And 'radius' is the operative term, sharp corners create stess risers and can lead to cracks, so remember to leave some sense of a radius in the corner(s) that you create.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
.,and some just re-clock it]
OP

you can either "trim" offending area off alternator

...or..

just unbolt the 3 long (thin) bolts and pull alternator apart (use paper clip first to hold brushes in place) "rotate" and put back together so the "recessed" art of alternator now clears the valve cover.

If you want you can take the opportunity to just replace brushes if the alternator is original. They are around $2 at auto part stores

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AWSOME INFO GUYS!!! THANKS :) Do you happen to have a picture of the backside of your alternator Fooser Guy?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any oil leaking from new covers or do these fit like a glove? Lol

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Better than pics, here's an awesome video guide that will show you what's involved in a rebuild of the CS144. It will utimately get to what Fooser was talking about or at least give you a better understanding if you decide to Clock it and what the parts look like.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the video. It was very informative, but I already have a good alternator. I'm just trying to see what part of the alternator you have to shave down to accommodate the Proform Valve Covers.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Couldn't find any sticky, but does anyone know what all valve covers for the LT1 we have to choose from?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Couldn't find any sticky, but does anyone know what all valve covers for the LT1 we have to choose from?
I have a set of canton valve covers that work great. Passenger side has the cut away for the alternator in the front and the heater hoses in the rear. Not sure if they are still made, or where you would be able to get them these days, however.

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
Where to buy quality covers for my impalla. My cover is broken for some reasons and for that I need a good quality valve covers very badly.
Get a set of center-bold valve covers for a small block Chevy.....available at a Chevy Dealer, Ebay or www.StreetTrends.com .

KW

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.