Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly this has nothing to do with my car but is a pretty generic question.

Would a leaky valve stem seal cause a spark plug to turn black in under 30 minutes of idling while still compression testing just fine at 90lbs?

The other 5 spark plugs are proper color.

Asking here cause the truck forum is slow to approve new members and a search of their place turned up nothing. (And they don't have a crash to blame it on.)

- Brian

·
Registered
76 Posts
90 pounds sounds a little low? What is the factory specs for compression?

I would not think the seals alone would cause this...maybe if the valve guide was completely shot.

·
Premium Member
1996 Caprice 9c1, 2018 Ram Laramie CC 4x4 EcoDiesel , '03 Ram 3500 Laramie Sport QC 4x4 Cummins
635 Posts
I concur,sounds like guides and seals. Be sure and let us know what happens after you toss in the new seals,I'm kinda curious

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, pulled it apart farther, flattened cam lobe caused the number 2 exhaust to open maybe a hair. On with the truck forum now so I'll be search cams and such over there now. Don't worry I still have the conglomerate of various cars loving referred to as the Impala, which is now delaying its paint shop visit because the truck decided to die.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.