Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could this be? I realy dont know anything about cars but I know i got my dream car,and I wanna take care of it the best I could. Now for the ? When I flip a U-TURN I here a some what of a popping noise,what could this be?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It is common on B-bodies. I believe it is the lower ball joint. Assure yourself that the ball joint is not worn out. If it is not then the answer is either live with it (as I have), or don't make such tight turns.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear the "popping" sound when I do a u-turn and trun the wheel to full lock. To remedy this I either slowly take an extra wide turn not turning the wheel to full lock (if theres enough room), or give it a lil throttle to swing out the rear end a lil quicker. The latter one is quite fun. :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GM says to put some grease on the stops where the knuckle meets the lower control arm at full lock.. Its nothing to wory about otherwise.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the reply, now I wont worry so much.Thanx again.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That noise appears to be the steering stops riding up and over the lower control arm riveted flange. Look for mechanical(shiny metal) on the steering stops. I have seen this wear on my two cars. I lubed with heavy grease and that helped. Does your car have the additional steering stop plates mounted to the backing plates at each front wheel? I added them to mine and need to remove them, can't turn in one time zone.
Regards- Scott

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I too had the same clunk noise, but my 96 SS has had a lot of hard driving, My swaybar endlinks had damaged bushings and when turned lock to lock, the swaybar would pull on the bolt tying it to the lower control arm and make the same clunk noise, I replaced end links with poly end links and have not heard the noise since.
Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts