Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering if anyone can help me with the vibration i am feeling under heavy breaking, feels like front right not so much left , more like a side to side movement than up and down

thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Could be a lot of things...
Check the following: wheel bearings, upper and lower ball joints, tie rods, rotor, pads... etc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rustic
thanks for input
3 months ago put new calipers, slotted & drilled rotors, new pads , and bearings were in great shape, so i guess check out tie rod ends , and ball joints

cool thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the rotors......warped and/or cracked rotors can cause this. And let's just say the robustness of drilled rotors to avoid those two things are LESS than that of stock rotors

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for input

actually better get new front bearings right and left, pack em with grease , pop em in, and at that time examine rotors, calipers, and pads and after installation hopefully vibration will be gone. If not can at least eliminate brake system, and then move on to tie rods ends and more trouble shooting.

any suggestions on bearing replacment? shall i get from chevy parts department , or does anyone know of a better bearing to purchase and install?

thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well before you do all that, get yourself a dial indicator and a magnetic base. Take the right wheel off, caliper off, mount the dial indicator and magnetic base to the spindle and measure the rotor runout. GM FSM says .003" is the limit. Mine are warped .0035" and you can feel it under heavy braking.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
were can i pick up a dial indicator, and magnetic base?

autozone?
do not mean to be needy but have not heard of this tool
thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the bearings... I think Autozone carries Timkin... that's what I use.
I don't know if AZ would have that tool in their loaner program or not... i would guess not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.