Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anbody here done this, do you have any info or pics for me. i wanna do this but not sure if i can.

any info,pics,part #'s, is much appreciated!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just a back up camera, that will display on my new Tv headunit!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't done it yet, but plan to in my RM sedan. Unfortunately, I got 1/2-way done modding my car inside and out, and ran out of time and money. So, I got the trunk lock out, but never got a camera to put in it. If anyone has done this, I'd love some input also.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, this is a definate project of mine as well. I install cameras, burglar alarms, and fire alarms for businesses.

I dont think id consider mounting it where the trunk key is...Wont you loose your key ability?

Due to the size of camera, (PC Board type) which is very small i plan on putting mine on the little hump where the 3rd brake light is in a small (VERY SMALL) box painted black, which is what color i plan on dyin my interior.

Another thing is, either you need a peice of glass between the camera lens and the car to keep water and such out, or find a small bullet camera and mount is under the car.

Dont get me wrong, you could do it, but i really dont wanna drill my lock or my lid.

I also plan on placing an access control keypad to start the car so a key will not even be needed. Just a code.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that is all you need, someone to jab there
key or something inside the key hole, put
the little camera box next to the license plate area.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, i have sent Steve 2 emails on the subject with no replies! :(

i do like how his is setup!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bill,
I sent you an e-mail, sorry for the delay (been busy)

I'm also posting it here.
Good Luck with your project.

Hi Bill,

I used a small security camera, I made a template from ABS to mount the camera in,the camera lense is waterproof and is sealed to the trunk lock hole, it took some time to make the templates and get everything mounted properly, there are no modifications to the trunk lid, the key lock parts can be reinstalled at any time to put the car back stock.
In the extreme case that the trunk lock solenoid would fail, I made a tool that can access the lock mechanism by removing the
license plate light.

The only issue that I have is that unlike a mirror the images are not reversed and when looking at the monitor (because the
camera is facing backwards) cars that are passing you on the left, or I should say (since this IS an Impala SS) cars you are
passing, :D show up on the monitor on the right.
I am trying to locate a small camera that will reverse the image to correct this problem.

I have my monitor and camera hooked up so that any time the car is out of park the camera automatically comes on and also
defaults from the video source to the rear camera (unless you find the hidden switch).

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks you steve for you reply!

i am going to look into that camera , that i had emailed you about!

i though it is pricey!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally bought a small camera to put in place of my trunk lock hole. No worries of someone accidentally jabbing a key into the camera as #1 - no one drives my car but me, and my husband knows that I have installed a hidden switch at the back of the car to open the trunk. #2 - I have had my trunk lock out of my car for at least 1.5 years now, so my husband and I are VERY used to not using a key back there. #3 - we both have Clifford alarms that include remote trunk popping. It would be akward for either of us to have to go back to using a key on our doors or our trunk. I bought my camera off eBay for under $70 shipped. I haven't installed it yet, but I have bench tested it. I love it. At low light, everything looks more black and white, but you can still see exceptionally well for such a cheap camera. And it is auto image reversing. I'm planning on getting an in-dash screen to go in my Blazer console. When that is done, the camera will be wired to it. I plan to get a screen with V1/V2 capabilty, so I'll be able to watch a movie or something while waiting in my car, or maybe GPS later on, and be able to switch the rear camera when needed. The camera is water-resistant (good enough unless I plan to teach my car to swim), and has a pretty durable, and seemingly scratch resistant lense. So even if by some chance, someone does try to put a key into it - they'd have to jab it in there with some real force to do any damage. When it is installed, I'll let everyone know what I think of it.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have seen people drill holes in their license plates for cameras before. Probably not the best idea on our cars, since it flips down and all, but, who will know it's there?

BTW, you can remount your lock to right under the tail light, a search will bring up instructions, and it fits like it should be there.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got one in mine. check ebay for rearview camera. Choose one that has a 120 degree viewing angle.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This would be great when trying to park. I always have trouble judging whether im too close to the car behind me or not.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can anyone send me a link to e-bay for one of these reversing cameras? I backed into a parking meeter last month.
Scared the S**t out of me :eek: , no damage, or even chipped paint! thank you lord.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmm, yea that one looks nice, however I think the only time I'll be using it is when backing up.

Ahh who am I kidding, that would be cool to have on display all the time. However the $70 for a good working reversable camera I think will be more my price range.

Any word on how these fit Roadmasster? Woah this is an old poast.

Where is a link that tells how to relocate the key hole to above the bumper? Again, I got remote pop on my alarm, I might not even want to drill the hole to reinstall it. But I would like to check it out none the less.

I have that ugly Caprice Bowtie over my trunk lock hole. are these suckers rivited on? I wonder how big the rivit holes are and what can be done about that. I won't fall out and badge it as a true impala (if the impala trunk emblem fits over the same holes or cover em up). *not a poser* arr, but then I will just have a lense in the center of my deck lid, that might stick out like a sore thumb. I NEED ADVICE PEOPLE!! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts