Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Legal & ethical issues aside, how might one go about swapping the dash-board VIN? It looks like it is rivetted on there.

I own both an 87 and a 90 9C1, and want to put the 87 VIN on the 90, and send the 87 to the junkyard. It's all about emissions testing, of course.

Thanks for any tips!
Chris

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
that's not the only place VIN is stamped
I could think of at least one more place where you see VIN clearly, plus other places which can be traced as well. Don't do it. If you get stopped and police gets suspesious and if they remember those cars a quick glance will raise a red flag FAST. I'm not gonna go into the details but that's one of the reasons my '89 was recovered as it was registered as a '90.
You are asking for trouble there buddy.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its either cast or stickered on the engine and tranny seperately, also stickered in the drive door or door frame. any other places? you should really watch the original gone in 60 seconds by halicki much better than the new one

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I basically have an awesome condition 90 (great drivetrain, interior and body) but it will have a tough time passing the idle HC emissions testings where I'm thinking of moving to. As an 87 though it would have no problems.

I guess I'll give this some further thought. It's just such a sweet ride I'd hate to be stuck not being able to insure it due to strict emissions numbers.

Chris

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I say fix the problem you have
Due to what I went through I won't reveal other places where one can read the VIN

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe this is stupid, but if they ask about the VIN's on the engine and tranny can't you say you just swapped them in from a '90???

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dont do it, period. is it worth getting arrested and having it on your record? I bought a '87 IROC back in '98 from some grandma in long island, to make the long story short got stopped 4 months later cops took the car and arrested me, car was stolen and re-tagged, it was really an '88 and thank god i wasnt the first owner since it got stolen, so i got out of it without getting booked...they kept the car though, and i never got the $ back

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is against federal law to change VINs. You don't even have to try to scam someone...the simple act of changing it gets you in lots of trouble with the Feds. You'll get caught.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, you're right. I guess I'll start doing some searching on high HC and see if there is something I've overlooked. It's funny because I've taken the car through in need of a tune-up and the HC is way over (as in 300, when the limit here is 220). After a tune-up it is always just around 100. That's fine for here in WA but won't cut it in BC where the limit keeps going down and is currently 78.

Thanks for the advice though!

Chris

Originally posted by 94cruiser:
I say fix the problem you have
Due to what I went through I won't reveal other places where one can read the VIN

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just wanted to say how wonderful it is that we don't have e-tests in SW wisconsin!!!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has everybody forgotten that the SPID has the vin number as well?
ALso,I think I saw it in the auto parts store,in the oils/additives section,a bottle that you put in the gas tank and it guarantees your car to pass emissions. I never had to get a bottle since my mechanic knew to have my car inspected and passed, no questions asked.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by mrmarkus:
a bottle that you put in the gas tank and it guarantees your car to pass emissions. [/b]
HA! they havent seen my car yet have they?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts